"A land of Food and Ice" Hokitika by fishandchips
Hokitika Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 199 photos
Hoki is a great place to have as a home base on the coast as it accesses many other places. Lake Kaniere, Hari Hari, Wild water paddling and fishing of the beach are all good options. The town itself is on the small side and has a very rich history centred in the days of the gold rush. A visit to the impressive museum will show you that in detail.
You may not think it but Hoki has quite a few options when it comes to doing a bit of sightseeing. The countless options include;
- Wild Foods Festival in March each year
- West Coast Historical Museum including lots of info on Hokitika's goldmining history
- Lake Kaniere Walkway (4hrs) is 13km, but shorter walks near the lake include Canoe Cove and Dorothy Falls.
- The Mahinapua Walkway (2hrs) goes through a scenic reserve with trails to Mt Tahu and Mt Brown (7hrs).
- Glowworm Dell - this is on the northern outskirts of town is worth a night-time visit.
- Phelps Goldmine - you can pan for gold here - about 2km south of Hokianga
- Eco World - there are kiwi's and other wildlife in their natural surroundings, including white heron
- Lake Kaniere - this is 20km east of Hokitika, and is popular for swimming, waterskiing, paragliding, powerboat racing and fishing. Also this is the site of the Lake Kaniere Triathlon.
- Lake Mahinapua - located south of Hoki, the lake is popular for yachting, fishing and swimming.
- Kotuku Sanctuary - this is located near Whataroa (114km southwest of Hokitika) is New Zealand's only breeding colony of white heronNesting season is from November to March.
- Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers - approx 140km south of Hokitika, these are the world's most low-lying glaciers. You can arrange Scenic flights from Hokitika and these are amazing.
- Pros:The people, the food and the adventure options
- Cons:It rains a bit in Summer
- In a nutshell:The best of the West
In March each year the Wild Food festival is held. It's a massive mix of food and wine with an inclination toward the... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Hokitika Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hokitika - West of the Southern Alps"
- "Hokitika on the West Coast of NZ"
- "Hokitika - Fun to visit and fun to say!"
- "A land of Food and Ice"
- "wonderful sea views"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hokitika
- Hotels in Hokitika
- Nightlife in Hokitika
- Restaurants in Hokitika
- Shopping in Hokitika
- Warnings and Dangers in Hokitika
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hokitika
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Hokitika?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hokitika
Photos in HokitikaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos