"Charleston" Charleston by fishandchips
Charleston Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 1 photos
Charleston is an old Gold Mining town that used to have 99 Pubs back in its prime. It is located to the South of Westport near the Nile River and has interesting bays, the most well known bays being Constant Bay, Joyce Bay, Ladies Bay and Doctors Bay. The reserve has public toilets and forms a good base for parking, a picnic or BBQ.
The Charleston Cemetary (aka Settlers Cemetery)is an ancient place that has a track at the back of it leading to a prime fishing spot on some coastal rocks.
There isn't much here now with the old Pub having burned down a few years ago and a tea rooms now in its place.
It is a good starting point to explore the tracks through the dense flax bushes. At the start of the reserve immediately to the left starts a track leading to Doctors Bay and further to the Charleston Rocks, a popular spot for climbers on the 60m rockface. Pods of Hector dolphins are regularly sighted cruising the coastline.
South of Charleston along SH 6 the track is clearly sign posted 700m South of the bridge across Four Mile (or Tiropahi)... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos