Christchurch Warnings Or Dangers Tips by fishandchips Top 5 Page for this destination
Christchurch Warnings and Dangers: 32 reviews and 17 photos
Christchurch has a growing number of youths racing around Christchurch in their fast cars. These so called 'boy racers' (they call themselves 'car enthusiasts') are a real menace and obviously don't tend to be able to stop very quickly given the speeds they travel at. There are regular meeting places that you should avoid at night including around Hagley Park though these are regularly cleaned up by the Police. Be warned that often their is alcohol involved so the judgement of the boy racers will be rather impared.
Christchurch has been rapidly getting a bname for not being one of the safest places to visit. Like most cities, Christchurch has its 'braindead' element who like nothing better than to go out, have too much to drink and cause problems. This is especially so with our local car loving boy racer community.
Just like any other city at night, be sesnsible about where you go and be vigilant when you travel alone. Things are not too dire as yet however the rising rate of peronal attacks should be noted.
The Police Kiosk in the Cathedral Square is a safe haven if you find yourself in trouble.
There are Police on duty so you can pop in and have a chat if you have had a 'bad moment' and need the assistance of the constabulary.
There is a front desk looked after by a couple of ladies who can provide general help & advice. If you have a more serious issue then they can get one of the constables to have a chat with you.
Not too far away is the central police station so if the Kiosk is closed then you have another option. The police station is located on the corner of Cambridge Tce and Hereford street.
Be warned that Christchurch has its busiest visitor months in February and March. This means that hotel, motel & all other rooms are in short supply.
If you are coming to Christchurch in February or March then it is highly advisable to book your accommodation in advance. Have a look at this Accommodation Link for some ideas.
I note that there is currently a big sign in the Visitors Centre with this advice. They have been very, very busy over the last couple of weeks with big queues of people wanting help throught eh centre's room finding service. Avoid disappointment and plan ahead!!
More Reviews (103)
- See All Pomeroys
- See All Pegasus Arms
- See All The Bridle Path
- See All Edmonds Band Rotunda
- See All Football
- See All Winter Travel
fishandchips' Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 107 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
Photos in ChristchurchSee All Photos (134)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- City Center- 128 Reviews, 163 Photos
- International Antarctic Centre- 27 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Christchurch Gondola- 13 Reviews, 26 Photos
- The Christchurch botanical gardens- 37 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Port Hills- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- ARTS CENTER- 18 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Punting the Avon River- 13 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Sumner- 8 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Canterbury Museum- 15 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Sign of the Takahe- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Christchurch Things to Do