"Collingwood" Collingwood by fishandchips
Collingwood Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
Collingwood is the gateway to Farewell Spit (in Maori ‘Onetahua’ or ‘heaped up sand’) and there are three operators in Collingwood providing trips out onto the spit - the 35 km sand bar that stretches into the sea forming the northernmost point of the South Island).
Out on the spit are many bird species and the remains of an old forest - mostly destroyed by an old storm. The lighthouse on the spit is another icon that provides good views along the spit from its top. I last visited here in 1985 (whilst on my honeymoon) and really enjoyed the area.
In 1856 the discovery of gold near Collingwood sparked New Zealand's first gold rush. These days Collingwood is a tiny town with a laid back approach to life.
fishandchips' Related Pages
Collingwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Farewell Spit"
- "Collingwood - Gateway to Farewell Spit"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Collingwood
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Collingwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collingwood
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 106 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 54 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos