"Alpine Adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanmer Springs by fishandchips
Hanmer Springs Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 101 photos
The small town of Hanmer Springs is located in North Canterbury approx 100 minutes from Christchurch.
Hanmer Springs has been built up around thermal springs discovered in 1859 by a Culverden farmer. The area was very slowly developed until 1864 when a bridge over the Waiau was built providing much easier access to the area. With the addition of the bridge came an increase in visitors which sparked interest in the continued development of the area. This got a major boost in 1883 when the Government Lands Department took over development. The pools were often used for their 'theraputic abilities' though the benefits are often debated with no proof either way.
Early on nude bathing was the order of the day with either a skirt or pair of trousers flying from a flag pole signalling which gender had use! These days there are both cold and hot pools of varying temperature plus a fairly new water slide complex catering to all. If you still want a clothes optional environment you can hire one of several private spas.
To support the increase in visitors accommodation was created including the Hanmer Lodge, now days the Heritage Hanmer, in the late 1890's.
There are lots of options other than the hot pools including skiing, golfing, mountain biking, bungy jumping and jet boating.
The Hanmer Springs Ski Area is around 40 minutes by car or shuttle from town. This is a small ski field has its access road off Clarence Valley road and is run by the Amuri Ski club. There is also Mt Lyford located 60km from Hanmer Springs for another skiing option.
The Hanmer golf club is located central to Hanmer and is a 18 hole par 68 course. It's small but a nice stroll unless the Nor Wester wind picks up making the course rather tricky.
There are lots of tracks for the MTB crowd to enjoy including several shared walking and MTB tracks.
There are so many beautiful vistas in and around Hanmer given its alpine location, large river and variety of walking and biking tracks.
- Pros:Great scenery, varied tracks and trails, nice hotpools
- Cons:Not much to do if you prefer nightlife
- In a nutshell:Relaxing alpine jewel
Hanmer has a wealth of tracks to go for a walk and enjoy the local flora & fauna. Most are located on the north side of... more travel advice
Assuming that Diner is American for Cafe - the Powerhouse Cafe is a small coffe shop come eatery that has a wide range... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Hanmer Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alpine Adventures"
- "Heaven and Health At Hanmer Springs"
- "Hanmer Springs"
- "HANMER SPRINGS"
- "Hanmer Springs, New Zealand"
- "Hamner Springs"
- "HANMER SPRINGS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanmer Springs
- Hotels in Hanmer Springs
- Transportation in Hanmer Springs
- Nightlife in Hanmer Springs
- Restaurants in Hanmer Springs
- Shopping in Hanmer Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanmer Springs
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Hanmer Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanmer Springs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos