"Wellington - Capital of New Zealand" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington by fishandchips
Wellington Travel Guide: 601 reviews and 1,327 photos
Maori legend has it that Wellington is the head of the fish pulled to the surface by the Polynesian navigator Maui.
Wellington has been our nations capital since 1865 due to its location. Parliament buildings including the beehive are located in the middle of town as are lots of good shops, Te Papa (Museum) and Courtenay Place for entertainment. Not too far away are the Ferry terminals and the Caketin (Wellington Stadium).
Wellington is known for its wind with houses having wind ratings depending on where they are located (an important fact when you are looking to buy). How windy is it? - the local rugby team is called the Hurricanes which gives you an idea of how breezy it can get.
The town itself is a really cool place to visit as it's quite compact with most things to see within a short distance (the centre is only 2 kilometres in diameter) of each other. Unlike Auckland, the public transport is very good with train and bus catering to most needs.
I'm in Wellington every 2nd week so unfortunately my tips don't include much in the way of what to see. I do however love coffee, eating and having the occasional drink so I have a number of tips on the food and entertainment side of things.
Good places to eat include One Red Dog, Monsoon Poon, Cafe Neo (breakfast) and the Lone Star. There are heaps of good options for a beer including the GP (General Practioner), St John Bar and Malthouse.
- Pros:Easy to get around & good eating places
- In a nutshell:Culture capital of NZ
Gotham is a great spot for breakfast in the middle of Wellington. It's located on Chews Lane (between Victoria & Willis... more travel advice
Wellington has become the main city for the New Zealand film industry due to, in no small part, the Lord of the Rings... more travel advice
fishandchips' Related Pages
Wellington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Capital on Shaky Hills and wind-swept Seas"
- "Wellington - Capital of New Zealand"
- "Raffish and Energetic - Quirky and Agreeable"
- "WELLINGTON - The Capital of our country."
- "wellington, nz"
- "Makara Beach"
- "Windy Wellington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellington
- Hotels in Wellington
- Transportation in Wellington
- Nightlife in Wellington
- Restaurants in Wellington
- Shopping in Wellington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wellington
- 55 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Wellington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellington
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Intro, 107 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 81 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 55 reviews, 81 photos
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Paris Intro, 40 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos
- Auckland Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos