"Mike's Daegu Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Daegu by miketrudeau

Daegu Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 93 photos

An often passed-over city

We initially heard about Daegu from a young man who had spent several years of his life teaching English at a university there. When Ciara and I were considering teaching English in Korea, we just assumed that we would go to Seoul, because it was the capital city and the only city whose name we had ever heard. This man convinced us to consider Daegu, and we are very glad that we did.
Daegu is South Korea's third-largest city, and is nestled in a basin surrounding by green mountains. Although this city is bigger than Toronto, it doesn't feel like a sprawling metropolis. Indeed, one of the remarkable characteristics of this city is its homogeneity. The whole city seems to be composed of semi-downtown neighbourhoods. There are no skyscrapers to speak of, and the downtown core is really just six square blocks of clothing stores.
This is not to say that the city is uninteresting or repetitive. Daegu holds many secrets for those willing to search, and those who are open to trying new things.

Christmas in Daegu

Here is a typical Christmas decoration as seen in the streets of Daegu. So scary...

• Pros:Friendly people, beautiful city, surrounded by mountains.
  • Cons:Lack of international presence can be frustrating.
  • Last visit to Daegu: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2007

• annasinkhoy's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 3:53 AM

hey! do you like CREW? hihi:-)

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Galbi sounds like the thing to def try when in Daegu. Nice page ;-)

• Oct 15, 2006 at 10:30 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• Aug 2, 2006 at 7:27 PM

happy to be with you at daegu. have time 4 beer ?

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 8:23 AM

Nice page Mike. Thanks for introducing me to Daegu.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Nice an dinformative page! But 3 tips without pics? How come?

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2006 at 9:00 PM

I don't know what 'soju' is. Galbi certainly sounds good. Lesley

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 7:29 PM

Hi Mike, very informative and interesting pages. I'm afraid the nearest I've been to Korea was a very good Korean restaurant in Rangoon - your galbi description had me salivating. Kimchee is beautiful. fergy.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 6:19 AM

Nice page. I have been to Daegu station a few times, but never got off the train. Maybe I should! You probably feel the same way about Daejeon. PS the tallest mountain in Korea is actually Mount Hallasan on Jeju-do. I'm going there next week!

• ophiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 9:22 PM

hi ! looks like a nice place to live. i hope someday you will be able to see Venice.

miketrudeau Used To Live Here!

miketrudeau