"Never too old" janeolga's Profile

Go For It! Die Living not Live Dying!

As we've got older we've decided we much prefer to travel simply. We did turn our backs on "the high life" because we enjoy basic travel at a basic cost that puts us in touch with real people. One on, one off and one in the wash is our motto when travelling.. Colin, my husband of 46 years and I have been lucky enough to visit many countries. Some in a luxourious way but the best backpacking. We have an"adopted" Nepalese son and his family and have a great time learning about each other's country and culture. Three years ago we enjoyed three months backpacking in Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, and popped into Brazil and Paraguay. Interests are music, walking (but not trekking so much these days!) reading entertaining family and meeting new people.We made quite a few friends in South America and have even met up with a couple, one from Uruguay and one from Germany since we returned. The internet has been invaluable in keeping in touch with many more.

We wrote quite a successful book about our travels in South America entitled "Where Are We Now? The Story of Two Pensioners in Patagonia and Other Peculiar Places" and have given numerous talks as well.

We are off up the Amazon and Orinoco rivers for six weeks and I hate to admit we are going on a cruise but the deal was too good to miss. We are however steering away from all the organised tours and hoping to get some good advice from all of you out there as to where to go and what to see during our limited times ashore.

We shall be visiting Belem, Almeirim,Alter do Chao, Parintins, Manaus, Santarem, Paraiso, Boca de Jari, Macapa, Iles du Salut and Puerto Ordaz. I'm hoping it will be good fun and we will have plenty of opportunity to meet people and make new friends.

I feel another book coming on!

• Intro Updated Jan 5, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
janeolga's Profile Photo

janeolga

“travel light and meet people”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.