Djibouti Local Custom Tips by adelinemmc Top 5 Page for this destination
Djibouti Local Customs: 13 reviews and 27 photos
Locals speak Arabic, French or local dialects.
People in Djibouti speak local languages, including Arabic, and French. They generally do not speak English.
I was in a group of divers, most coming from England. The English divers had obviously not researched Djibouti well because they expected to be understood by everyone.
Djibouti is one of a few places on Earth where you will not get away with English, so please, for your own enjoyment, learn a few words of French. This will enhance your experience of Djibouti, allow you to communicate with its inhabitants and you will receive better service because people will understand you!
Afar camels caravan on its way to Ehiopia
If you are very lucky, while on a trip to Lake Assal, you might see a caravan of camels going to or coming back from Ethiopia.
The Afar tribe still undertakes the 4-day trip to Ethiopia to barter their salt for corn flour in the local markets. They then come back (another 4 days!).
Please respect them and be discreet when taking pictures. They do not like to have their photograph taken so if you see them, take only a picture or two and always from a distance.
If you are driving your own vehicle, slow right down when passing the caravan.
If you can read French, follow this link for a book about the salt caravans of Djibouti:
More Reviews (15)
- L'Affaire Borel - the Borel mystery
- See All Mini buses
- See All Snorkel with whale sharks
- Local craft is hard to find
- Ethiopian food with traditional show
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- "Djibouti - Frowsty, Dirty, Costly but Comestible"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Explore the World
- Yogyakarta Special Region Hotels
- Ross on Wye Hotels
- Sunfish Lake Hotels
- Bijnor Hotels
- South Shields
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 17 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Road to Dettifoss open?"
- updated a Djibouti Travel Page "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- Wrote a Review L'Affaire Borel - the Borel mystery in Djibouti Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Ekahau's Djibouti travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Pisco Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marsa al `Alam Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos