"Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by adelinemmc
Djibouti Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 1,211 photos
Djibouti consists of one big town and harbour and lots and lots of desert. It is geographically very interesting because the great African rift start there, it has the lowest and hottest location in Africa and also because its plancton-rich waters harbours lots of life from macro-sea slugs to giant whale sharks
You can only snorkel with these babies, you cannot scuba dive. Who cares? The encounters are magical and humbling.
You wil lhave to abide by strict regulations put in place to protect the sharks: minimum distance, no touching, no blocking their path etc...
Djibouti town is not paved apart from a few streets in the centre and the main road in/out.
The place is poorly maintained with trash everywhere, dirty pools of water/black oil etc.
- Pros:Wonderful landscapes, geological features, whale sharks
- Cons:Expensive, dirty, hot
Back in 1995, a French judge' s body was found half burned in the middle of nowhere about 80 kms from Djibouti town. His... more travel advice
See 'sport travel' for more details. Great emotion when I saw my first whale shark near Arta beach! Then another came,... more travel advice
- Local craft is hard to find
- See All No English spoken - French & Arabic...
- Ethiopian food with traditional show
- Currencies: take euros!
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 17 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
- Posted in Travel Phnom Penh Forum "Re: Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville taxi"
- updated a Djibouti Travel Page "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- Wrote a Review L'Affaire Borel - the Borel mystery in Djibouti Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of Ekahau's Djibouti travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esbjerg Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos