"Esbjerg: the smell of money?" Top 5 Page for this destination Esbjerg by adelinemmc
Esbjerg Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 46 photos
In the good old days when Esbjerg harbour was working at full capacity, before the depletion of fish stock and European quotas, some people used to complain that Esbjerg smelt of fish when the wind blew from one particular direction. They used to frown and say it stank.
But the people of Esbjerg knew best and they used to reply: "it's not the smell of fish, it's the smell of money!".
Of course now, there are just a handfull of boats left, the dockers' house has been demolished and the town does not smell of fish anymore. And you know what? Inhabitants of Esbjerg do regret their good old fish/money stink!
Part of the harbour are still in use, mostly for container traffic. Fishing has returned after a temporary total closure but it's only a fraction of what it once was.
This made me laugh so much!
This is the female toilets symbol in Jensen's Bofhus. It conveys the message in a fun but slightly disturbing way.
Update: went back recently (2012) and the sign has been changed to a more conventional (and boring) one...boo!
- Pros:Typical Danish harbour town with ferry connections
- Cons:A bit dull?
This festival usually takes place early to mid August for a week. In 2014 it was 9-16 August. There's a stage on the... more travel advice
This train seems to be going up & down Kongensgade on Saturdays and was quite a hit with the kids. Most shops open at... more travel advice
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Esbjerg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Sea entry point"
- "Mennesket ved Havet"
- "Esbjerg: the smell of money?"
- "Relish that "small town feel""
- "ESBJERG - DENMARK BY THE SEA"
- "coenie's Esbjerg Page"
- "Esbjerg Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esbjerg
- Hotels in Esbjerg
- Transportation in Esbjerg
- Nightlife in Esbjerg
- Restaurants in Esbjerg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esbjerg
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Esbjerg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esbjerg
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Esbjerg Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Berlin Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos