"Ayacucho - Birth place of the Shining Path" Ayacucho by adelinemmc
Ayacucho Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 33 photos
Seldom visited, Ayacucho is worth the effort. It's a big Andean town in the middle of what used to be the Huari empire.
It has a pleasant Plaza de Armas with regular parades, a huge market, cheap hotels, good craft markets and Huari ruins outside town.
Dr Abimael Guzman, the founder of the Shining Path or Sendero Luminoso lived in Ayacucho. The Shining Path murdered thousands of people in the region and was only stopped recently. Nobody wanted to live in Guzman's house at the edge of town so it's now a animal hospital.
Huari was the capital of the Huari empire. Most of the ruins are still covered in dust and soil due to lack of funding but there is a fantastic tomb where intact momies were found.
Full of life and offering all the vegetables and fruit and might want.
It also has a big section of non-food stuff where you can buy good quality blankets, sandals made of recycled tyres, wooden spoons etc...
- Pros:Big town with lots to do, if you are a bit adventurous
- Cons:Difficult to get to
Ayacucho to/from Andahuaylas = 10 hours and 25 soles no paved roads at all. Bus company is Los Chankas. Take warm... more travel advice
Arranged around a courtyard, this restaurant is quite popular with the few tourists who made it to Ayacucho. It serves... more travel advice
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Ayacucho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayacucho - Birth place of the Shining Path"
- "Ayacucho, Peru"
- "El Rincon de los Muertos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayacucho
- Hotels in Ayacucho
- Transportation in Ayacucho
- Nightlife in Ayacucho
- Restaurants in Ayacucho
- Shopping in Ayacucho
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayacucho
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ayacucho
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ayacucho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayacucho
Photos in AyacuchoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Pisco Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos