"High in the remote Andes, far from tourists" Huancavelica by adelinemmc
Huancavelica Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
Ever read Tintin and the Temple of Sun? Well, this line, the highest in the world, from Lima to Huancavelica is the one that Tintin travelled on.
The Lima to Huancayo section of the line only opens a few times a year, including on Peru's national day.
The Huancayo to Huancavelica section is operating almost year round, a few times a week. If the timetable does not suit you, you can even arrange for a private one-carriage train.
We took the normal service. The promise 8-hour trip turned into 11. The train is very slow.
Note that when night falls, there is no lights in the train, you just go on travelling in pitch black. Candles are available for sale at a stop though, but then the insects will target you!
Fantastic views, well worth it.
Huancavelica is and looks like a poor town. It is remote and isolated at 2,800 mts in the middle of the Andes.
There is no easy onwards travel options to Ayacucho. You must rent a van or try your luck with 2 buses. The connection is miles from anywhere and you may wait an hour ...or ten for the bus that will take you to Ayacucho.
It's a great place to visit though. Far from the Gringo Trail, you will be one of a handful of tourists in town
Coming back from the Death Mine trek, we bumped into these guys at the edge of town.
- Pros:Authentic Andes, far from the tourists.
- Cons:Difficult to get to and leave from
A great day long trek high up to the now closed mine. Thousands of indians died in these mines, first exploited by the... more travel advice
This is an annual event celebrating the farmers of the different little villages around Huancavelica. All wear their... more travel advice
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Huancavelica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High in the remote Andes, far from tourists"
- "IN TRAIN TO HUANCAVELICA"
- "Town of Mercury"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huancavelica
- Hotels in Huancavelica
- Warnings and Dangers in Huancavelica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huancavelica
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Huancavelica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huancavelica
Photos in HuancavelicaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Pisco Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos