"Tacna - Not a boring town!" Tacna by adelinemmc
Tacna Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 28 photos
When you cross into Peru from Chile, there's a good chance that you'll end up in Tacna.
Most people immediately board a bus to Arequipa and spend no more than a couple of hours in this town.
However, we found it to be cheap and cheerful and ideal for a stopover. There are plenty of sights to see: lovely avenues and plaza, a big craft market, casinos, a train museum and cheap hotels.
Louis Eiffel, the guy who designed the famous tower in Paris also designed the cathedral in Tacna and a very nice art deco-style fountain in Tacna's main square, the Plaza de Armas.
Tacna has a duty free zone a bit outside town (approx 10/15 mins walk).
You can buy anything in there from shoes (average price 38 soles) to designer trainers, to cheap asian-branded electronics, to bootleg DVDs, to cycles to clothes, branded or not, etc...
Several blocks chock-full of stalls and shops await you. Beware though, there will be a custom control when you leave town (although they did not really check much)
- Pros:Great stopover town with warm climate & animated centre
- Cons:Easy to overbuy in the craft market or duty-free zone
- In a nutshell:Chilled town with lots to do
When travelling from Arica in Chile, taxi drivers will be patrolling teh international terminal to try and fill their... more travel advice
You can walk to the museum in about ten minute from the centre of town. It's a very laid back museum with 2 big... more travel advice
adelinemmc's Related Pages
Tacna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tacna - Not a boring town!"
- "Tacna - across the border"
- "City in the desert"
- "Chile neighbour City"
- "Freetown Tacna"
- "FotoPeru: Estampas de Tacna"
- "Tacna, in the edge of the history"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tacna
- Hotels in Tacna
- Transportation in Tacna
- Restaurants in Tacna
- Shopping in Tacna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Laguna de Arenal Hotels
- Staten Island Hotels
- Ishigaki Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- Laguna Beach
- Isla Mujeres
- Yesvantpur Hotels
- Nuevo Progreso Hotels
- Bloomington Hotels
- Bad Soden am Taunus
- San Miguel de Cozumel
- Bassano del Grappa
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
Badges & Stats in Tacna
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Tacna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tacna
Photos in TacnaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Paris Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Ayacucho Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Andahuaylas Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- La Napoule Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Arequipa Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Pisco Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marsa al `Alam Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos