"ADELINEMMC" adelinemmc's Profile

a Frenchwoman in London

In exile in London for the last 20 years, I have developed a strange dual personality.

I am French so when at home in London, I moan about public transports, the cost of living, the English stiff upper-lip syndrome and the lack of decent baguette, moutarde or cornichons

London has been my home for so long that when I am in France, I feel very foreign now and moan about the idiocy of French administration, TV programes that are dubbed instead of being subtitled and the lack of a decent curry.

What I need is a floating house in the middle of the Channel!!!

Iceland May 2013

Iceland is amazing! So diverse, so vast and so empty!
A real breathe of fresh air when you live in a huge busy town.

Diving the Maldives: 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014

For my first time in the Maldives I booked a diving cruise out of Kuredu. What I did not realise is that the itinerary included one of the largest mantas congregations in the world at Baa Atoll.

We had two magic dives with 50 or so mantas flying everywhere, and a whale shark to complete the picture. Later in the week in Raa Atoll we floated anchored in the current as 30 white and black tip sharks circled the reef.

This trip was pricey but well worth it. I enjoyed every single one of the 1260 minutes I spent underwater (OK, maybe not the few minutes right after a mantis schrimp pinched my finger on a night dive).

The second trip was going the classic route around Male, Ari etc atolls. Saw less mantas but did more channel dives than in the North Atoll. Lovely weather too.

Third time was in the Southern Atolls. Lots of channel dives, a fantastic whale shark encounters and countless problems with Sri Lankan Airlines.

Fourth and last time for a good while was staring South and finishing in Male.

South America June to August 2005

We spend two months in Peru and Bolivia (with a quick visit to North Chile).

After a couple of days in Lima we went to Pisco to visit the Paracas islands and as a bonus saw Tambo Colorado.

We travelled mostly in the high Andes, spending the first two weeks in areas not usually visited by tourists: Huancayo, Huancavelica, Ayacucho and Andahuaylas.

Then we did the 'classics': Cusco, Machu Picchu. Sacred Valley, Lake Titicaca before crossing into Bolivia. We stayed in La Paz a bit then travelled south to Uyuni. A 4X4 took us to the famous salt flats and into Chile.

After a short stay in San Pedro de Atacama we crossed back into Peru via Tacna, then back to the 'Gringo Trail' with Arequipa anda trek in the Colca canyon, Nazca and its Lines, Ica and Huacachina, then back to Lima for our flight home.

What a trip! Unforgettable is all I can say.
Been trying to upload tips and bits since then but time is always short!

One thing though: the amount of rubbish lying around everywhere is shocking! I know we're talking poor countries where the priority is to survive first, then worry about other things than the environment but still. Rubbish is everywhere from remote Andean villages to small coastal towns and it's a shame. If you visit, do not throw your garbage in the streets like the locals and try to find a bin to put it.

Djibouti Oct/Nov 2006

Djibouti pages now up and running.

Photos and tips available. Just go to my Djibouti page there: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/93b78/ddb/

The French Riviera - Often!

It's not all poodles and Brigitte Bardot! Neither is it all concrete and commercialism.

You can still find beautiful villages perched on a hill, little beaches and breathtaking landscapes on the Riviera.

Then there's the markets, the olive oil, the peaches, the fresh fish, the lavender, need I say more?

What I like:

-Bandes dessinées
-Scuba diving
-Travelling
-Trekking (a bit)
-Cycling to work so I don't have to depend on the crap London tube system
-Summer
-Skiing

What I don't like:

-Celery
-Fennel
-Dentists
-Coffee
-People walking slowly
-Stupid men and their stupid wars
-Binge drinking (to be observed every Fri & Sat night throughout the UK!)

• Intro Updated Apr 18, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!