"A Lifelong Dream" Easter Island by krissyM
Easter Island Travel Guide: 628 reviews and 1,507 photos
Visiting Easter Island has always been a dream of mine ever since middle school when I wrote a paper on the Island. The mystery of the place and the noteriety called to me like no other place has.
In 2006, my regular travel buddy suggested we go there (she had just read a book on the Island) and I jumped at the chance to go no matter what the cost. In September of 2006 I finally had my chance.
We arrived from Santiago to beautiful clear skies and a lei around our necks.
Easter Island is the most isolated inhabited island in the world. It is 3,600 km (2,237 mi) west of continental Chile and 2,075 km (1,290 mi) east of Pitcairn. It is a 63 square mile (163 sq. km) triangular island formed by the eruption of three volcanoes.
The name "Easter Island" was given by the island's first recorded European visitor, the Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen, who encountered Easter Island on Easter Sunday 1722, while searching for Davis or David's island. The island's official Spanish name, Isla de Pascua, is Spanish for "Easter Island".
- Pros:The people are extrememly friendly
- Cons:It's miles and miles and miles from anyplace
- In a nutshell:If you like exotic and off the beaten path, this is the place to go
One of the more unique Moai at Ranu Raraku is a partially buried Moai with the depiction of a European ship carved onto... more travel advice
Puna Pau is the volcanic crater where the pukao were quarried. The crater contains the soft, easily worked reddish... more travel advice
krissyM's Related Pages
Easter Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easter Island - Rapa Nui"
- "Easter Island and the Stone Heads"
- "Mysteries and moai"
- "Rapa Nui - a very special feeling"
- "Easter Island - The Most Remote Frontier On Earth"
- "An Island of Legend, Beauty, and Mystery"
- "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Easter Island
- Hotels in Easter Island
- Transportation in Easter Island
- Nightlife in Easter Island
- Restaurants in Easter Island
- Shopping in Easter Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Easter Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Easter Island
- 21 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Easter Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Easter Island
Top 10 Pages
- Easter Island Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos
- Los Angeles 23 reviews, 34 photos
- London 22 reviews, 32 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos
- Calgary 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Canaima 13 reviews, 34 photos
- Namibia Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Barcelona 11 reviews, 30 photos
- Monterey Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Lima 8 reviews, 22 photos