"C O L O U R S of O S T R A V A" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostrava by al.ladin

Ostrava Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 302 photos

I’ll try to write down some PLUSes and MINUSes of Ostrava here. It is my home town and I tend to be non-critical but I will try:
On the plus side there are the historical buildings in the downtown and in the districts of Vítkovice and Privoz: churches, citizen houses from the beginning of the 20th century built in the secession style and several modern public buildings from the twenties and the thirties in international style or constructivism.
One of the oldest ones is the St. Wenceslas' church from 16th century.
However Ostrava lacks history in suburban housing estates built during the last 50 years. The suburbs and Ostrava generally are settled mostly by people who came here to work at beginning of the last century and during the fifties.
The number of inhabitants has grown several times since the end of 19th century due to the boost of industry and it is definitely the fastest growing city in the Czech rep. Ostrava is now the third biggest city.
Another advantage is quite well working public transport connecting sometimes very far located districts of Ostrava and neighbouring towns and villages. You can easily reach the edge of the town and go for a trip to few kilometres remote woods or a bit farther located mountains. Unfortunately the trams and busses are often crowded in the rush hours and you have to watch your staff from pickpockets.
Finally I think it is a busy cultural town with a lot of theatres, museums and cinemas.

A bit of history

Ostrava was founded in 13th century. Little town until end of 19th century was connected with Vienna and Krakow with railway in 1847 and railway is still convenient way to go to Ostrava. (Another way to come is the airport )

The city started to grow after a discovery of coal deposit in the mid 18th century along with coal mining and the metalworking industries.
Now is Ostrava the third largest city in Czechia with a population of 320 000.

Colours from 12th to 15th July

Look at things to do

MAP
Here you find Map of Ostrava or any place in Czech Republic.

Information point in Ostrava MIC Ostrava
Nadrazni street 7/686
(in opposite of National Bank - CNB, tram stop Elektra)

www.ostravainfo.cz

e-mail: mic@ostravainfo.cz
phone no. 00 420 - 596 123 913

Weather forecast for Czechia

Czech Hydrometorological Institut

• In a nutshell:My favorite home town.
  • Intro Updated Jul 5, 2007

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2013 at 4:28 AM

i was nearby in Olomouc, had a wonderful time.
    also celebrated on the train with some vitkovice fans!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Hi nice pages. We only got to prague this year , maybe another time we can get around and see more . Thanks for your pages!!

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Might just find ourselves here but won't be staying in the most expensive hotel!

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Nice to read about your city. I have fond memories of my trip there to watch Middlesbrough.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 1:32 AM

I never been to this part of Europe but it sure look beautiful. I like particularly Beskydy Mountains. Thanks for visiting my page. :-)

• suela's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 2:19 AM

Hi and thanks for your comments. Indeed Tirana is changing very fast but I think in the time that I wrote that message it was not very known. By the way I hope to come and see the Colours of Ostrava next year. greetings!

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 8:47 AM

Nice to read about your home town, Thanks

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 2:15 AM

Looks a nice place you live in, I would enjoy the world music festival. (~_~)

• travelife's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 6:39 AM

Nice page.. I liked Czech rep. in all my visits.. Reza

• swetluska's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2005 at 12:49 PM

jj...dobra prace :-)

al.ladin Lives Here!

Badges & Stats in Ostrava

Have you been to Ostrava?

Latest Activity in Ostrava