Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Trap Tips by ukmagicman
Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Traps: 60 reviews and 27 photos
Bedouin Selling Tea
Bedouins are muslims and speak an arabic dialect. Most of the Bedouins from the Sinai and Negev desert have come from the Arabian peninsula, other migrated from the desert of Egypt, Transjordan and Syria.
In the Sinai area, they have learnt how to make huge sums of money from tourists through organizing camel rides, dinners, ATV rides etc and are not hoarding vast amounts of cash as a result.
When you go on for example a Bedouin camel ride, they will try and give you a bracelet at the end. They tie it very tight and then ask for a about $4. They are very pushy about this and make it seem initially like it is a gift. You will already have paid enough for the camel ride, so if you are offered this and don't want to cart back a bracelet you will throw away, then just say No.
Unique Suggestions: Take a camel ride, it is an experience
Chugging along with the punters
In Sharm el Sheik, they offer numerous glass bottom boat tours, but I think they are truely a waste of money unless you really can't get in the sea to see the reef.
The boats do not go anywhere special, they all just meander along the coast where all the hotels are. I saw a lot more just jumping in the sea next to the hotel and it was a lot more interesting.
This tour is a bit of a tourist trap. You spend about 30 min looking through the glass bottom and then they move you to the top of the deck as they float for a while and sell you drinks.
Unique Suggestions: Take pictures through the glass.
Fun Alternatives: Rent a snorkel and goggles and jump in the water yourself. You will see more and have a lot more fun... especially around the Sheraton hotel and the hotel next door.
More Reviews (7)
ukmagicman's Related Pages
Sharm El Sheikh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharm is the place to go,(updated from apr 2006 )"
- "~ Sharm El Sheikh ~ The Charm Of Sharm ~"
- "Its Egypt, kind of."
- "Sharm - one of the best places to be"
- "Bedouin Dinner"
- "Sharm Charm"
- "Sharm el Sheikh - An Oasis in the Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sharm El Sheikh
- Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
- Transportation in Sharm El Sheikh
- Nightlife in Sharm El Sheikh
- Restaurants in Sharm El Sheikh
- Shopping in Sharm El Sheikh
- Warnings and Dangers in Sharm El Sheikh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sharm El Sheikh
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Sharm El Sheikh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharm El Sheikh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Buenos Aires 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Boston Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Washington D.C. 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Miami 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Kailua-Kona 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Choroní 1 review, 5 photos
- Estado do Rio de Janeiro 2 reviews, 3 photos
- San Ignacio 3 reviews, 2 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
- Naama Bay- 36 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Snorkeling- 30 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Ras Mohammed National Park- 37 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Beaches- 11 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Quad Biking- 24 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Old Town Sharm- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Scuba Diving- 36 Reviews, 58 Photos
- St. Catherine's Monastery- 17 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Sharks Bay- 6 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Glass Bottom Boat- 16 Reviews, 24 Photos
See All Sharm El Sheikh Things to Do