Mérida Favorite Tips by ukmagicman Top 5 Page for this destination
Mérida Favorites: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Favorite thing: If you are planning to take lots of trips in Merida with tour companies to places like Los Llanos and Catatumbo or to participate in things like Canyoning, Paragliding, Mountain Biking, Rafting, etc, you should bring U.S. dollars to pay for these as they will be much cheaper. Most of the tourist companies in Merida seem to use the unofficial exchange rate or a rate around US$1 to BS4,000 (BsF4) for the price in dollars.
For example, for canyoning, the price in November 2007 was US$45 but BS.180,000. A huge difference in the cost if you are taking money out of the ATM to pay for things as you would be paying US$90 for the trip (official exchange rate is US$1 to BS.2,150/BsF.2.15.
Therefore, I advice you call ahead to find out prices of things you would like to do and take the dollars with you to pay. A lot of tour companies only accept cash or a bank transfer to pay for the trips.
Favorite thing: Taxi's are very cheap in Merida, considerably cheaper than in Caracas, so it is often better as a tourist to take taxi's between locations rather than trying to get on the right bus. Make sure you still ask the price in advance "Cuanto cubra hasta (location)." Most journeys around the city will only cost between Bs4,000 and Bs7,000 (BsF 4 and BsF 7).
More Reviews (17)
- See All Pack Those U.S. Dollars and Things Will...
- See All Los Llanos
- See All Venezuela de Antier: Travel Back in Time
ukmagicman's Related Pages
Mérida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santiago de Los Caballeros de Mérida"
- "Merida: Contrast of Relaxation and Extreme Sports"
- "Merida -2002"
- "Venezuela's University Town in the Andes"
- "merida and environs"
- "El Techo de Venezuela"
- "La ciudad de los caballeros"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mérida
- Hotels in Mérida
- Transportation in Mérida
- Nightlife in Mérida
- Restaurants in Mérida
- Shopping in Mérida
- Warnings and Dangers in Mérida
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puerto Princesa City
- Guerrero Negro
- Benimaclet Hotels
- Kigali Hotels
- Westchester Hotels
- Valdosta Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mérida
- 19 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mérida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mérida
Photos in MéridaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Buenos Aires 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Boston Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Washington D.C. 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Miami 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Kailua-Kona 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Choroní 1 review, 5 photos
- Estado do Rio de Janeiro 2 reviews, 3 photos
- San Ignacio 3 reviews, 2 photos