"guide to the hidden Naples" Top 5 Page for this destination Naples by egicom05
Naples Travel Guide: 1,390 reviews and 3,755 photos
Naples is a town floating on the hollow space of underground cavities. Napoli was built on a large stratum of tufa rock. Artificial caves were added to the natural ones since the early years of the city foundation. Greeks and Romans used the subsoil as a parallel city, opening aqueducts, catacombs, warehouses. The tufa has been until recent times the main building material and many quarries have been opened just underneath the town. Moreover, through ages Naples has developed in a strange way, growing layer by layer on a vertical line, the modern levels added on the oldest ones. That’s the reason why when you walk in the historical centre, Naples’ past is under your feet.
For example, excavation works for the new underground (Metropolitana) have brought to light 3 roman ships in Municipio Square, the monumental complex of Iso-Olympic Games, a temple, an ancient theatre and more than 3.300.000 archeological objects. We are still discovering our origins...
The building, wanted by Marquis Nicola Moscati was built in the 1738 by Ferdinando Sanfelice who was a famous architect.... more travel advice
It was the only northern access to the urban city until 500. This Door was called in this way bacause led to the... more travel advice
egicom05's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another capital of another glorious kingdon!"
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 53 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
- Wrote a Review St. Gregorio Armeno - The church in Naples Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Lorenzo Maggiore Archeological Excavations"
- updated a Naples Travel Page "guide to the hidden Naples"
- Posted in Travel Naples Forum "RE: Train Station to Ferry Help"
- Commented on one of spicysurfer's Naples travel pages
Photos in NaplesSee All Photos (65)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 53 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Benevento Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.