"Allen's Home Page" allenzag's Profile

Our Trip to Europe

Hi VT friends
We're back from 2 wonderful weeks in Europe. I'm now in the process of making my travel pages. Got Budapest page up but having problems uploading photos. Still working on it.

I hope to update my China albums as well as get a new album for our Europe trip.

Allen

My Travels - My China

China. Land of history, enchantment. A place in my dreams or a reality? Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd go to China, much less fall in love with it.

When my first wife died, I decided to meet new people and had many pen-pals. After receiving and writing many letters I decided to narrow my interests down to China. I met many friends there and in 1996 made my first trip to Beijing. Then again in 1997.

My friends took me to all the wonderful places of interests. The Great Wall, the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace. and much more. Beijing in my mind was the cultural capital of China.

The best thing was I wasn't on a organized tour. I was personally escorted by friends so we had all the time in the world. Spent the better part of a day at the Great Wall so we had a chance to hike quite far from the crowds.

Actually I love taking photos of just street scenes. In my 2 trips to Beijing I got to know my way around fairly well. And being personally escorted, we stayed away from the 'expensive' tourist places. Instead we ate at the local noodle shops for lunch and dinner at nice Chinese restaurants. In fact I was the only Westerner at the hotel in 1996. 3 star hotel and quite nice and confortable.

Since I love trains, I asked my friend to take me to the train station. She got us a "platform pass" so we could walk around the station. I met some railway workers. Since I am a engine driver (engineer for you USA types), we were automatically brothers so I got some personalized tours of the trains and engines. I'll have some photos up soon as soon as I figure out how to make a photo album here.

Time is short

I've added another chapter and a photo album. I don'tknow how much more I'll get in here as we're off to Shanghai in 4 days. Will be there 3 weeks. This story will be on a Shanghai page I'll create after I'm done with my Beijing page.

Please keep checking back.
Thanks
Allen

• Intro Updated Mar 23, 2008

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Happy birth day Allan , cheers

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM

best wishes for a happy birthday and a healthy upcoming year. N.

• MFAMILY's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 6:00 AM

Thanks for your comments on my Prague page. Gotta go to China again one of these days. I'll need you for hints and tips!

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I see your are into trains. There are some interesting train history here in the area I live. Sort of first tunnels and the like. I just took the train from West to east across Pa. for the first time a couple of months back. Nice trip!

• Ali&Steve's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 8:25 PM

Looking forward to reading more about China - always wanted to go there! Welcome to VT, Ali

• irvbur's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 9:49 AM

HI Allen, Welcome to VT. You've found the perfect site to exchange pix & tips, and just chat. Your photos are grerat & I hope to see more. Irv

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
allenzag's Profile Photo

allenzag

“Life is too short. Enjoy yourself”

Ranked Member