"Cong" Cong by PKCass
Cong Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 29 photos
I feel like our short tour of the village of Cong did not do it justice. We arrived via ferry from Oughterard and had only 2 hours to see the sites. See my ferry tip on my Oughterard page for more details.
Ashford castle was our first stop. We walked around the lovely grounds for a bit then walked in to Cong to find something to eat. Cong and the grounds of Ashford Castle were used for many of the exterior scenes in the John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara movie "The Quiet Man". The people of the town are still quite proud of this fact and many of the stores are named in honor of movie characters (Michaleen's Guesthouse, for instance). After eating, we had just enough time to run through Cong Abbey, which is truly impressive. It deserved more time than we devoted to it.
This abbey dates from the 12th century. The stone carvings are spectacular. Take some time and check it out properly. more travel advice
PKCass' Related Pages
Cong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not just the Quiet Man!"
- "Quite man location - quite splendid"
- "Cong....mixed emotions"
- "It Smelled of Leprechans!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cong
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Cong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cong
Top 10 Pages
- Oughterard Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Little Rock Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Ireland Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Roskilde Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Cong Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Clifden Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Northern Ireland Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.