"My First Trip to Ireland" Dublin by PKCass

Dublin Travel Guide: 5,145 reviews and 9,471 photos

A Day in Dublin

I met my friends Patty, Ken and Tom at Trinity College, where they had arrived a day before me (for the reason why, see my Dublin travelogue "The Best-Laid Plans..."). It was raining, but we didn't let that dampen our moods. We first stopped in to see the Book of Kells which is small but amazing. The exhibit you pass through before getting to the actual book is very helpful in explaining what you will be seeing. Next we headed to Merrion Square and saw the very colorful statue of Oscar Wilde. We wandered around a bit and stopped at a pub for lunch where we got our first taste of Smithwick's ale. Delicious!

Church Hopping

After lunch we stopped by Dublin Castle where we toured the chapel and then caught the end of a tour where we saw part of a 13th century wall. Then it was on to Christ Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Both of these churches have beautiful windows, and the floor at St. Patrick's is a colorful patchwork of tiles. We sat down for a cup of tea and plotted our next move.
We decided our tour of Dublin would not be complete without a trip to the Guinness Storehouse. This turned out to be a longer walk than we anticipated, but we finally arrived. We promised ourselves we'd take one of the numerous taxi's parked outside for the trip back to Trinity College.

Guinness is Good For You

We toured the Guinness Storehouse museum for as long as we could stand it (there's only so much information on the history of beer making that one can stand before their eyes start glazing over) then headed up to the Gravity Bar for our pints of the black stuff. I'm not a fan of it, but I did manage to polish off most of a pint.

Back outside the museum, all the taxis had disappeared. We walked for a while and stopped in at Castle Inn on Pembroke St. for dinner. Lamb stew and a pint of Smithwick's hit the spot. When we finally got back to our rooms at Trinity we were exhausted. We knew we had only scratched the surface of Dublin, but the rest would have to wait for another trip.

• Pros:Lots of pubs
  • Cons:Lots of rain
  • Last visit to Dublin: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2007

• Ruai's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Yr travel woes wld put me off traveling! Glad you still enjoyed your trip :)

PKCass

“Planning the trip is half the fun!”

Badges & Stats in Dublin