"Oughterard - A Town in County Galway" Oughterard by PKCass

Oughterard Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 49 photos

Why Oughterard?

When we decided to visit Ireland, we wanted to rent a cottage somewhere in County Galway that was close to Galway but far enough out to give us more of a taste of rural Ireland. Oughterard met these requirements. It is about 30 minutes from Galway and is located near Lough Corrib. Oughterard is popular for fishing, but there are also many sites to see within a short drive. Places we visited when we were in Oughterard included Galway, Roundstone, Clifden, Inishmore, Cong, and the Connemara.

Location, location, location

The cottage we rented (Rhinebeck cottage) is on Glann Road. There are no house numbers, just sign posts with the cottage names. (For more on Rhinebeck cottage, see my tip "Rent a Cottage" in this section.) Rhinebeck cottage is close enough to walk to Oughterard. There is a nice path along the Owenriff river that goes right in to Oughterard. There are several pubs and a few shops in Oughterard, providing plenty of places to eat and get supplies. There is also a ferry on Lough Corrib that you can take to Ashford Castle and Cong.

• Last visit to Oughterard: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2007

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Hi Pam! Lovely little page on Ireland. I especially loved the lake pictures as if we didnt have enough of lakes here! I am heading for Ireland in May, my fourth time there but not the last. Happy birthday from Finland!

PKCass

“Planning the trip is half the fun!”

Badges & Stats in Oughterard

Have you been to Oughterard?

Latest Activity in Oughterard