"Run rabbii run, dig the hole catch the sun" alakshendr's Profile

chennai to pondi

Something called "east coast road" is da besht road I have driven ever.... considering I've driven from portland to san hose, let me jusht say, ECR is WOW. ok my trip(lest I forget):

day 1: reach at 11:30 in the night at chennai airport. hungry as a mad dog. The flight started 1 hour late from delhi, had a stop at hyderabad and did not offer dinner. They were selling chips and coke. So, started to look for food in chennai @12, finally we did find a sloppy restaurant open and ate the south indian version of lachchha paratha(excpet its called barota). Next we decide(oh yes my brother came on his bike) to go to the beach. Weather is good, Its 1:30 in the night and the moment we hit the beach a cop car comes and we are sent home. welcome to chennai.

day 2: we leave for pondicherry at around 10 in the morning. chhotu was medidating from 7 to 10... a feature I was about to see for all days I spent with him. both of us wore our designer sun glasses(chhotu ke better hain AND green hai :) and went in all tashan available. The bike(thunderbird) was awesome. Comfortable smooth powerful and everything I always wanted a bike to posses. I have now made up my mind not to buy a car in US but only a harley. Moving on, the ecr is a streach of around 110km and is within 300mts of the sea. the whole road has trees( i think I once saw a strech of pine trees as well) at both sides so the sun doesn't really affect the ride and view makes you wonder why am I in delhi??we reached pondicherry around 1, then went to a local place for food. Didn't like it so got out without eating. Koi angrej sarak par ja raha thha so asked him for a good restaurant. He told us for "aubergine" in "auroville", essentially a speciality restaurant in a nearby town. We decided to go and took a strange looking road. oh yes, everytime we asked for directions auroville was always "one kilometer ahead saar" and this was every two KMs. :-) so we evetually found the road.. it was narrow road, single lane, and was quiet. very very quiet. suddenly we saw a muddy road getting out of it so, for lack of better reason, took it. It was the best decision I took this week. we were suddenly in a jungle(pahle bhi thhey but not this thick) and raod was such that no one could figure out which direction is which. people we did manage to see were all angrej and on bicycles. Out of the blue we saw a road sign for "willow of the wind". we went ahead to find what was in essense a place for meditation. we walked in and found a shop that was selling precious stones, all unprocessed. since the only stone I know is diamond and I could not afford to buy that, we did not shop. We had been sitting on the bike for almost 4 hours now and, lets just say sitting was the last thing on my mind. I asked chhotu to drive ahead and find the holy restaurant while I walk. it was a good walk, very quiet and very fresh. My trip was successful at that point itself. we couldn't find a restaurant and a passerby told me that the auroville is the name of that region and there's no central market of auroville. By this time i had figured out that people in auroville were anyways not interested in restaurants. it is primarily a nature refuge!! then suddenly we saw signs saying a visitor center and there it was a big building with at least 50-people flocking like bewildered hen at the butcher's shop... :) they has a canteen there and I had the best apple pie of my life there. anyways it was nearly 5 and we drove to pondi to see the famous aurobindo ashram. Chhotu was very interested in this place. from my perspective the asram was a dud with the followers acting as if they were better than us un-spiritaulised humans. It was six now and was time to go chennai. However we hadn't yet seen the beach, were very tired and night driving is not my speciality so we decided to stay at night. We found a beach resort(the beach was less than 50 mts from the hotel) and it was fun. There're no private beaches in pndyWe then left in the morning and I caught the afternoon train to banglore.

• Intro Written Mar 10, 2005

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
alakshendr's Profile Photo

alakshendr

“the more unplanned the trip the more fun it is”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.