"Easter Island - The Most Remote Frontier On Earth" Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island by balint01

Easter Island Travel Guide: 632 reviews and 1,527 photos

Beauties of Nature and Human Accomplishment

It is just simply amazing and breathtaking to realize the size of this island and compare it to all the things you can see on it. I personally think this island must have one of the best "sights/square km" ratios in the world! No matter where you go you bump into a Moai (the famous sculptures), of which there are around 800 (!!) on the island, or you "just" see the beauties of nature: a volcano, a lake, the seashore, a cave, the never ending waves of the ocean, etc.

And the size? Well, it's very-very small. The longest distance is some 28 km's which is the longest side of the triangle shaped island. It is simply unbelievable how this small place survived literally in the middle of nowhere, continously tortured by the winds and the waves. And man-kind got this far from the Continents and inhabited the island! (And later Christianity spread out here as well, amazing religious power there...)

While wondering around and just being here I think everyone of us will start thinking about life, man-kind, earth as a planet, the power of nature and the power of humans! These thoughts are brought to you by the island itself, you just have to listen! So when you arrive, just slow down, relax and open your ears and thoughts! You will always remember this place, I can guarantee that!

Full of Mysteries

The island is full of mysteries! And I mean really FULL! It starts with the name, as it has several of those. Te Pito Te Henua, Rapa Nui, Easter Island (Isla de Pascua) just to name the most well known ones.

The life of the early inhabitants is another mystery and then we have all of those Moai's, the use of which is still unknown. It is also unknown where the early inhabitants came from (Tahiti? Inca Empire? or from both?) and why they basically died out! Besides erecting the Moai's they extensively used the caves of the island for different reasons, and they also created mysterious legends of the Birdman and other figures.

And on top of all, this mysterious island is as far away from everything that it is considered as the most remote inhabited place on our little blue planet (inhabited by humans, I mean). What would have happened to the "locals" if it does not get discovered by the Europeans? That remains a mystery forever now...

• Pros:Limited number of tourists, interesting sculptures, beautiful landscape, nice weather
  • Cons:Hard, long and expensive to get there
  • In a nutshell:My best trips up to date!
  • Last visit to Easter Island: May 2008
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM

It must have been serene to be right in the middle of such old heritage and still preserved as it was left. I saw a movie called "Rapa Nui" and it got me interested to see what it is like today. YOur pictures and comments are well done.

• Ilona.'s Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I'm curious about what species those trees are with the twisted trunks & Y some are cut down ...

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Great restaurant tips, I agree 100% with your comment on Te moane and Merahi Ra a, I visited these also 4 weeks ago

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM

Those were very great things to do tips! =) I'm gonna take note of them for future reference.

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 10:32 AM

I see you enjoyed your trip to Rapa Nui. We had the same GREAT experience !!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 10:28 AM

Great destination, thanx for sharing!

balint01

“Experience All!”

Badges & Stats in Easter Island

Have you been to Easter Island?

Friends