"U.S. Capitol, Off My Bucket List" Washington D.C. by GuitarStan

Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,777 reviews and 15,520 photos

Many War Memorials To Our Fallen Soldiers

My wife and I felt it was quite depressing at some of the memorials, especially the Vietnam and Korean memorials. It seemed to us that these wars were very ill-advised and a terrible waste of our brave young men and women. Growing up in the Vietnam era, I found viewing the Vietnam Memorial especially sad. I overheard a man, that appeared very close to my age, say " What a waste" and I spoke up and agreed with him. At this point another man also echoed our feelings with the same sentiment. Their are arguments of when this war began and ended. I will state that the years 1959-1975 are carved into this memorial with many people's names between them. Why are we so eager to sacrifice our young for very questionable causes? I never will understand this!

Washington D.C. Transportation System

We actually stayed in Arlington, VA, close enough to ride our bikes into DC. I suggest purchasing a "smartrip card" that allows you to use city buses, DC circulator buses and the trains, just swipe your card and your off.

Smithsonian Museum Of American History

Since one of my hobbies is playing the guitar, I had to see Eddie Van Halen's guitar that he used for many concerts and recordings. They say you know your good when one can identify the musician just by their style of play. Eddie Van Halen definitely fits this criteria.

• Pros:Transportation, War Memorials and Restaurants
  • Cons:War Memorials and Expensive Lodging
  • In a nutshell:For me......sadness viewing recent war memorials.
  • Last visit to Washington D.C.: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

“If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. NEVER jaded by travel!”

Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.

Have you been to Washington D.C.?

Latest Activity in Washington D.C.