"Fredericksburg: A Sweet Little Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by von.otter
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 246 photos
“Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.”
— George Washington (1732-1799)
Fredericksburg figures in the first 100 years of American history. It plays a role in the American War for Independence and the War of Northern Aggression, as the American Civil War is, or has been, known in the American South.
It is also one darn sweet little town.
It offers charm mixed with history that deserves to be sampled. Some of its historic offerings are the home of Mary Washington, mother of George. The Kenmore (with no connection to the appliance brand marketed and sold by Sears) estate is near to Mrs. Washington's last domicile. Kenmore was the estate of her son-in-law, Fielding Lewis, and her daughter Elizabeth, known as Betty.
One the other side of the Rappahannock River are Chatham, a house museum that touched the lives of four presidents and Ferry Farm, George Washington's boyhood home.
The streets of downtown are lined with shops, restaurants and filled with locals and tourists alike.
Kenmore House is truly an exquisit example of Colonial Georgian architecture. The ornamental plaster ceilings throughout the ground floor interior are breathtaking. Visit and take them in.
Chatham and its grounds and garden are restful, inviting and lovely, giving no hint at the central, bloody roll they played as the War Between the States raged in the area.
- Pros:Filled with history, and natural and man-made beauty.
- In a nutshell:Indulge in the beauty and hisotry of Fredericksburg.
Finally a house/museum that allowed interior photos! American institutions are far too skidish about allowing photos,... more travel advice
The stucco work ceilings can be found in all rooms on the ground floor of Kenmore. In the dining room, the ceiling’s... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia"
- "Fredericksburg: A Sweet Little Town"
- "Fredericksburg - a Great Meet!"
- "Historic Civil War area"
- "Historic Fredericksburg on the Rappahannock River"
- "Fredericksburg VT meet"
- "Old town Fredericksburg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 17 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos