"Charlottesville, Main Attractions, Three of Them" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlottesville by von.otter
Charlottesville Travel Guide: 295 reviews and 771 photos
“A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”
— Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Charlottesville is ideally situated about the center of the state of Virginia.
There are three main attractions, all are connected to U.S. presidents. The plantation of America's third president, Thomas Jefferson, Monticello, is located in Charlottesville; as is Ash Lawn/Highland, the plantation of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States and a friend of Jefferson.
The third major attraction in Charlottesville is the University of Virginia’s Rotunda. The school and its design are the work of Thomas Jefferson.
“This institution of my native State, the hobby of my old age, will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind, to explore and to expose every subject susceptible of its contemplation.”
— Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson is referring to the University of Virginia. Its physical and metaphysical center is The Rotunda, pictured at right. Jefferson based his design on Ancient Rome’s glorious Pantheon, von.otter’s favorite building in the world. Jefferson used this same inspiration for his beloved Monticello.
For as much as Jefferson and his fellow Revolutionaries hated the Old World, that is exactly where they turned for their models in art and government.
- Pros:A beautiful area of the country.
- In a nutshell:Charming little town with some grand sights.
“Our country may be likened to a new house. We lack many things, but we possess the most precious of all — liberty!” —... more travel advice
“Those who labor in the earth are the chosen people of God, if ever he had a chosen people, whose breasts he has made... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Charlottesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best place to live in the USA?"
- "This is Thomas Jefferson Country..."
- "Jefferson's Charlottesville"
- "Charlottesville, Main Attractions, Three of Them"
- "Charlottesville - Thomas Jefferson's Hometown"
- "STATELY MONTICELLO!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlottesville
- Hotels in Charlottesville
- Transportation in Charlottesville
- Nightlife in Charlottesville
- Restaurants in Charlottesville
- Shopping in Charlottesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlottesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charlottesville
- 18 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Charlottesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlottesville
Photos in CharlottesvilleSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos