"A Little Country Town" Milford by von.otter
Milford Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 27 photos
The borough of Milford, in Pike County, Pennsylvania, is the county seat. As of the 2000 census the population was 1,104.
This is the country. Because it is only a two-hour drive from New York City the area, with plentiful cheap land, it has attracted many second-home owners. With the Delaware River and its branches crisscrossing the area, fishing, boating, canoeing, and kayaking are popular pastimes. Hiking and camping are activities with strong draws, too.
Each year the Black Bear Film Festival, held at the historic Milford Theater, shows a series of independent films. The October festival takes place the weekend following Columbus Day. Each June the Milford Music Festival is a free, weekend event
Milford’s Pike County Historical Society Museum is home to the Lincoln Flag. This flag was draped at the front of Abraham Lincoln’s box in Ford’s Theatre the night he was shot. The flag was used as a pillow to support the president’s head; it still shows signs of his blood. Thomas Gourlay, stage manager at the Ford Theatre, kept the flag. His daughter Jeannie, an actress who had been a cast member in the play, “Our American Cousin,” at the theatre that night, had inherited the flag. She moved to Milford, and the flag was given to the Museum following her death.
- Pros:Quaint and Quiet
- Cons:Limited, if you are accustomed to a bigger town’s offerings.
von.otter's Related Pages
Milford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SMALL TOWN LARGE HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE"
- "aquatic's new Milford Page"
- "A Little Country Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milford
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Milford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milford
Photos in MilfordSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos