"Bologna: Iconic Images" Bologna by von.otter
Bologna Travel Guide: 1,174 reviews and 3,539 photos
“At Bologna I found a festa, or rather two festas, a civil and a religious, going on in mutual mistrust and disparagement.”
— from “Italian Hours” 1909 by Henry James (1843-1916)
Bologna is always a party, una festa. One of its nicknames is la grassa, the fat, because of its great food; and a party is not complete without great food. Because Bologna is a college town, boasting Europe’s oldest university, the spirit of youth touches everything, including partying!
My introduction to this grand Medieval city includes three photos which are symbolic of what makes Bologna such a special place.
The first iconic image of Bologna is Nettuno il giante, Neptune the Giant. Topping a fountain next to City Hall, Nettuno is a bulging mass of bronze muscle. He gives the plaza where the fountain stands its name, Piazza Nettuno. This square borders the city’s main square, Piazza Maggiore, as well its historic city hall, Palazza Comunale.
The second iconic image is Torre degli Asenelli, the 330-foot tall tower which can be climbed for a six euro tariff. I would encourage all visitors to Bologna to make this exhilarating trip up to the top of this tower; the views are outstanding. You can also work off the calories you will taking from the great food the city has to offer. It will also be possible to see why the city has another nickname, la rossa, the Red. A sea of red-tiled roofs will stretch out before you as you look down on the city. Some might argue that this nickname refers to the city’s liberal, even socialist, political views.
The third iconic image of Bologna is its porticos. Bologna is very famous for its porticos. They shelter residents and visitors from the hot sun and the rain. We were grateful for these ubiquitous features when we took shelter under some of them as we found ourselves in a sudden downpour. Porticos have been a part of the city’s life since the 13th century, when a law was passed requiring new construction to include them in their plans.
- In a nutshell:A charming town with great food and great art
“Sembra una vespa!” (“It resembles a wasp!”) — Enrico Piaggio (1905-1965), his reaction to the buzzing sound of the... more travel advice
“The city of Bologna, which has always combated for liberty, remembering the past, and its eyes fixed on the future, in... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Bologna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BOLOGNA - "La Turrita""
- "My way to stay in Bologna!"
- "Bologna – Eat, look up, marvel, eat and savour"
- "City of towers and arcades."
- "Bologna - Capital of Emilia-Romagna"
- "Bologna - The Red City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bologna
- Hotels in Bologna
- Transportation in Bologna
- Nightlife in Bologna
- Restaurants in Bologna
- Shopping in Bologna
- Warnings and Dangers in Bologna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bologna
- 65 Reviews
- 311 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Bologna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bologna
Photos in BolognaSee All Photos (311)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos