"Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by von.otter
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos
"A killer whale was actually seen in the harbor of Ostia, locked in combat with the Emperor Claudius. She had come when he was completing the construction of the harbor, drawn there by the wreck of a ship bringing leather hides from Gaul, and feeding there over a number of days, had made a furrow in the shallows …"
— From "On Natural History" by Pliny the Elder (23-79 AD)
A WHALE OF A TIME—Visiting Ostia Antica is a grand way to pass the day. You will rejoice in the beautiful combination of landscape and classical ruins.
You can have some fun with this headless figure. In May of 2007 we found it reclining outside the Caffetteria degli scavi. For a fast-food joint, the food was quite good — but then this is Italy, where the food is always good.
- Pros:It is a quick, easy escape from Rome’s hustle.
- In a nutshell:It is a peaceful day in the country.
Three columns, very similar in construction, appeared in various stages of what will become of them all, showing one... more travel advice
“Whenever he floated down the Tiber to Ostia, or cruised past the Gulf of Baiae, he had a row of temporary brothels... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Visit Ostia if you possibly can!"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "The Most Amazing Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Hotels in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 6 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
Photos in Ostia AnticaSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos