"Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome by von.otter

Rome Travel Guide: 12,093 reviews and 26,960 photos

I have had a fascination with the Eternal City since I was child. The history and the art and the spirituality speak out across the centuries to stir something deep within me.

Within the last nine years we have visited Rome three times. Each visit has brought great joy, great wonder, great surprises.

The three photos shown here, all of the same subject, a lion attacking a horse, offer an example of the joy, the wonder and the surprise that Rome holds for me.

The first photo was taken in December 2000 from the rooftop terrace caffè at the Capitoline Museum at the Campidoglio. When I looked over the parapet wall and saw this ancient sculpture I gasped. What a surprise! What a joy! What wonder!

Seven years later, I rounded a corner within the same museum to see the same work of art at ground level. This perfectly marvelous emissary from the Ancient World had the power to move me yet again; I gasped.

And it serves as a metaphor for all of Rome: around every corner there is something wonderful to dazzle, to excite, to bring joy and wonder.

• Pros:A treasure of art and history.
  • Cons:Too much graffiti & too many tour group buses
  • In a nutshell:Stirring inspiration from art, history, religion: all in one place.
  • Last visit to Rome: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2009

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Lovely page with fascinating tips. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Irene

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

~~ Great places to visit! Thanks for your very detailed and interesting pages!

• asiantraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

nice page!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Very good restaurant tips!

• Jul 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Great place, no tourists, but me. I love Carla-- captured a pic of her smiling lovingly at season's 1st fresh artichoke. Every course incredible, wines were excellent & affordable! We sipped homemade lemoncello together til 2:30 am! Went back a 2nd night!

• Jul 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM

re: Sermoneta - bought there in Sept. 2007 - now they don't seem to be there anymore. Do you know anything more about them? Thanks

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Your Rome pages prompt study, especially liked the story of the geese. Am returning to the Museo Cap tomorrow and looking for many things I read on my tour w/you. Grazie for all your work!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Interesting details on the architecture of the Pantheon.

• daddygila's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Absolutely wonderful info and pictures of Vatican gardens. Will be in Rome this Easter....can't wait !

• abarbieri's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Philip thank you very much for sharing with us your "Roman Holiday" experiences. Great tips and impressive picture gallery. I like very much 3bd848, 3b8191 and 3de9d0. I wish you all the best!! antonio

von.otter