"Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome by von.otter
Rome Travel Guide: 11,958 reviews and 26,428 photos
I have had a fascination with the Eternal City since I was child. The history and the art and the spirituality speak out across the centuries to stir something deep within me.
Within the last nine years we have visited Rome three times. Each visit has brought great joy, great wonder, great surprises.
The three photos shown here, all of the same subject, a lion attacking a horse, offer an example of the joy, the wonder and the surprise that Rome holds for me.
The first photo was taken in December 2000 from the rooftop terrace caffè at the Capitoline Museum at the Campidoglio. When I looked over the parapet wall and saw this ancient sculpture I gasped. What a surprise! What a joy! What wonder!
Seven years later, I rounded a corner within the same museum to see the same work of art at ground level. This perfectly marvelous emissary from the Ancient World had the power to move me yet again; I gasped.
And it serves as a metaphor for all of Rome: around every corner there is something wonderful to dazzle, to excite, to bring joy and wonder.
- Pros:A treasure of art and history.
- Cons:Too much graffiti & too many tour group buses
- In a nutshell:Stirring inspiration from art, history, religion: all in one place.
“Rome has grown since its humble beginnings that it is now overwhelmed by its own greatness.” —Titus Livius (59-17... more travel advice
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not... more travel advice
- See All Virgin Mary, On the Streets of Rome,...
- Stay Alert!
- See All Marble: An Italian Tradition
- Pack Lightly
- See All Dine with the Locals
von.otter's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 161 Reviews
- 722 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (722)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos