"Amboise: A Civilized Place" Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise by von.otter
Amboise Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 381 photos
“You may go to Amboise either from Blois or from Tours; it is about half-way between these towns.
The great point is to go.” — from “A Little Tour In France” 1884 by Henry James
What was true in 1884 is true today, when visiting the Loire Valley, make a point to go to Amboise.
It is a sweet town of roughly 11,500 souls on the left bank of the River Loire. If you are a fan of history and architecture you will enjoy a visit here. Much took place in this market town that shaped the history of France, with ramifications for Western civilization.
There is free parking near the tourist information center by the river, just to the west of the bridge. Leave your car there and wander the streets. Visit the château, with its grand view of the river, and further in town, visit the manor house, Clos-Lucé, which was the last home of the Renaissance genius, Leonardo da Vinci.
The River Loire is lovely at this point, especially toward sunset. There is an island in the river near the bridge; locals fish from the riverbank or from boats.
It is a very relaxing town, with a civilized pace about it. Enjoy!
The rock promontory upon which Château d’Amboise is built has been part of a defensive position of this area of the River Loire since the Gallo-Roman period. Once on the château's ground it is easy to see the advantage from this position.
Although proudly lit at night, the castle seems to hold secrets in the dark.
- Pros:Great history and natural beauty combine to entice.
- In a nutshell:I would like to live here.
“Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation, for when you come back to your work your judgment will be surer.... more travel advice
“While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.” — Leonardo da Vinci... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Amboise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming City and Chateau"
- "Amboise: A Civilized Place"
- "Amboise - a Chateaux Town"
- "The Lovely Loire Valley"
- "In the heart of the Garden of France"
- "Amboise . . . Star of the Loire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amboise
- Hotels in Amboise
- Transportation in Amboise
- Nightlife in Amboise
- Restaurants in Amboise
- Warnings and Dangers in Amboise
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amboise
- 21 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Amboise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amboise
Photos in AmboiseSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos