"Château de Villandry: Gardens of Earthly Delights" Top 5 Page for this destination Villandry by von.otter
Villandry Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 266 photos
“By the time we had reached Villandry the sun was struggling through the clouds.”
— from “Antiques Digest” 1911
There is no struggle at Château de Villandry, only the delights of its gardens. They are among the most wonderful gardens in the world. Wandering around the paths it is easy to get lost in thought and the sights of the flowers, the plants and the vegetables.
Spread out over 12.5 acres there are three different gardens, planted on three different levels; on the first level is the potager, a kitchen garden, regal in its neat geometric parterres edged in clipped boxwood. Next comes the Jardin d’Amour, the Love Garden, with great symbolism in how its hedges are arranged. And lastly, on the third level is the water garden.
The château too is open for tours. Its early eighteenth-century interiors are sweet and deserve a serious look, especially the art gallery; its art is mostly Spanish in origin. Seized in the late 18th century by odious French Revolutionaries, Château de Villandry had been bought in the early 1800s by Napoleon for his brother Joseph, later made king of Spain by the Little Corporal.
The castle dominates the village of Villandry, population 920. Villandry lays 11 miles west of Tours; it is open daily, 09.00 to 17.00. Visit its excellent and entertaining web site, www.chateauvillandry.com.
- Pros:Acres and acres of flowering gardens
- Cons:Very little
- In a nutshell:The Gardens of Earthly Delights
“We feasted on the fat things of the earth, as we made our way to Villandry.” — from “Antiques Digest” 1911 The Shop at... more travel advice
“I can only concede the miracle, that my excellent friend Carvallo has been touched by grace.” — Dr. Charles Richet... more travel advice
von.otter's Related Pages
Villandry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WHAT A GARDEN!"
- "Château de Villandry: Gardens of Earthly Delights"
- "Villandry and It's Special Gardens"
- "Chateau de Villandry"
- "Chateau and Gardens at Villandry"
- ""Painting" with Plants"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villandry
- Hotels in Villandry
- Restaurants in Villandry
- Shopping in Villandry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villandry
- 15 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Villandry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villandry
Photos in VillandrySee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 161 reviews, 722 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 94 reviews, 495 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 83 reviews, 417 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 80 reviews, 395 photos
- Bologna Intro, 65 reviews, 311 photos
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 233 photos
- Gent Intro, 43 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferrara Intro, 41 reviews, 214 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ravenna Intro, 43 reviews, 210 photos
- Parma Intro, 40 reviews, 203 photos