"Guadalajara" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara by scott_dallas

Guadalajara Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 460 photos

During my trip to Mexico I wanted to experience a location that was not your typical beach destination in addition as well. Guadalajara was a nice fit as it was a short trip from Puerto Vallarta where I stayed first and it seemed to be a city that offered a lot of culture and sights without as many of the safety concerns of Mexico City. I must say it filled the bill. Guadalajara is a place that offers a stark contrast of affluent and modern, with very poor. A lot of traditional archetecture and art, with trendy shopping and neighborhoods. I must say that after going there it whetted my appetite for a future trip to Mexico City, as I have heard Guadalajara described by some as a sort of Mexico City Light.

Some of the things I did in Guadalajara.

1. Checked out the archetecture and art in the old downtown, or Zona Historio. The Orozco murals in the Palacio de Gobierno and Instituto de Cabanas are incredible, as is the main Cathedral.
2. Went to the huge Public Market ( Mercado Libertad ) near the old downtown, supposedly the largest market in the Western Hemisphere, wandered the aisles amongst the vendors who sell everything imaginable, and sampled some of the local fare at the enormous food court.
3. Took a bus trip to Tequila and the Cuervo distillery. The valley there offers some spectacular views.
4. Went to Tlaquepaque and browsed some of the galleries and shops there, as well as hanging out in the plaza and practicing my remedial level Spanish with a couple of the local children.

• Pros:Modern City, cool Historic District Archetecture, lots to see.
  • Cons:Can be smoggy.
  • In a nutshell:Nice change from typical tourist spots
  • Last visit to Guadalajara: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2005

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 9:29 PM

thanks for your tip raead them before I went down to Guadalajara last week helpful thanks

Badges & Stats in Guadalajara

Have you been to Guadalajara?

Latest Activity in Guadalajara