"DUBAI - A HOTCHPOTCH OF CULTURES" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai by Escadora7
Dubai Travel Guide: 3,918 reviews and 11,396 photos
JULY & AUGUST 2005 - DUBAI WAS GREAT !
Time to return to the place where it all began...
... the first awkward face-to-face meeting
... the first dance
... the first kiss
... the first friendly competition
Ash: A little secret ...
The first time I was to pick up Eva from the airport, she walked right past me .. Argh!! It was almost like she was running out of the airport. So I backtracked a bit and waited but didn't go up to her just yet!
She got out of the airport, set her airbag down, looked around her all overwhelmed, trying to make sense out of the commotion ....... Till I came into focus.
Then there was that beautiful smile again, the one I knew so well from her photographs, and I recognized her mouthing the word 'Hello'.
The rest as they say is history!
Here is the link to the last Dubai VT meeting pics:
OFFICIAL VT PICS
A Little History:
Archaeological finds suggest that humans have been living in the area of Dubai and its surroundings since 3000 BC - the Bronze Age Magan civilization. Early economy relied on pearl-fishing, small scale agriculture and fishing. This was eventually followed by a boom in copper trade.
Around 1830 the Maktoum family (from a branch of the Bani Yas tribe from the Liwa oasis) took over the area, and has been ruling the emirate to this day.
In the late 1800's, Sheikh Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum granted tax concessions to foreign trade, and thus lured many businesses to switch their base of operations from Iran and Sharjah to Dubai. His desendant, Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, recognized the importance of the Creek and began modernizing and improving the facility, thus attracting even more trade. Thus it was trade - not oil - that became the foundation of Dubai's wealth. (Today 90 % of the GDP are from the non-oil sector.)
In 1966, with the discovery of oil, Dubai had another upswing: The oil revenue allowed development of an economic and social infrastructure.
In 1968 the British withdrew from the UAE area, and the Sheikhs realized that joining forces would give them a stronger voice.
In 1972 the United Arab Emirates was founded. The country would now be composed of 7 Emirates: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain, and Ras Al Khaimah. Of these, Abu Dhabi is the richest due to it's oil reserves (10% of the worlds total), followed by Dubai (trade, manufacturing, toursim). Each of the Emirates retained a certain degree of autonomy, and has input in the election of the leaders of the federation.
The construction-boom in Dubai is ongoing - so are the events to lure tourists and the public. Following is a PARTIAL list of new and ongoing projects in Dubai:
- Burj Al Arab Hotel
- Dubai Palm Island
- The World Project
- Hydropolis Underwater Hotel
- Dubai Festival City
- The Emirates Mall (incl. Snow Dome)
- Dubai Mall
- Dubai Heritage Vision
- 280 of the leading hotel chains
- Convention Center
- Global Village (DSF)
- Cruise Ship Terminals
- Al Minsaf (luxury creek cruiser)
- Dubai Summer Surprise (DSS)
- Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF)
- Over 50 international exhibitions per year
- UAE desert challenge
- Pros:Modern, clean, and most of all: SAFE
- Cons:The heat can kill you!
- In a nutshell:It's too new and sterile - but it certainly grows onto you!
This place is a change to the typical Dubai shopping-mall. The building, which is supposed to represent a dragon, is... more travel advice
If you only have time to do one of either a bus-tour OR a creek-cruise, don't despair - WONDERBUS will give you an... more travel advice
- See All A taste of the Middle East
- See All Zn chemically speaking is Zinc!
- See All Postcard Millionaire
- See All "Tsching tsching? WHO THERE???"
- See All Luxury in the Financial Districs
Escadora7's Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBAI - A HOTCHPOTCH OF CULTURES"
- "Dynamic, ever-changing, friendly, exciting..."
- "Dubai...In A Fast Moving Phase"
- "Dubai Jewel of the Gulf"
- "Dubai is ......Dubai!"
- "A hot time in Dubai town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 80 Reviews
- 240 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 80 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 25 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 21 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City Intro, 27 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 37 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Goa Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Khandala Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos