"Wonderful Oaxaca" Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez by TheWanderingCamel
Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide: 350 reviews and 911 photos
The markets are fantastic - an explosion of colour and smells, such a feast for the senses. Taste buds are well served too - Oaxan cuisine is famed as some of the best in all Mexico.
Excellent museums housed in beautiful buildings display standout collections of artifacts from all eras of the region's long and varied history.
The whole region is renowned for the richness and variety of its local crafts - pottery, weaving, woodcarving, embroidery, basketwork - and the skill and artistry of its craftsmen.
The city also serves as the most likely base from which to visit the ancient Zapotec sites of Monte Alban and Mitla as well as the other ruins, villages and markets of the Valles Centrales.
Day spent sightseeing can be followed by balmy evenings spent around the town centre, watching the evening paseo on the Zocalo, browsing the craft stalls that set up there at night, catching the colour and charm of a folkloric dance performance or, if you're lucky, a passing parade off to a fiesta. No doubt there are clubs and bars for those who like them, we were happy with the less sophisticated pleasures of observing life in a small city.
Thoughts of Oaxaca come back to me often. The city really embedded itself in my mind, and I so want to go back there. Looking through photos to put to the pages I've been writing here has brought it back even more. I always like going back to a place - the first visit is only ever skims the surface I feel - there's so much that is new to absorb. We don't always have the luxury of going back somewhere - time, distance and budget can all conspire against it - but there are some places that keep calling and for me, Oaxaca is one of those.
For now, I'll continue to travel there in my mind .... but watch this space. Other plans will keep me busy for a while, but I have no doubt that one day I'll find myself whiling away the evening under the arches of the Zocalo, standing awestruck at the excesses of the Iglesia Santo Domingo and the achievements of Monte Alban, and looking for a replacement for the perfect hat I bought in the Abastos market. Maybe I'll find a cooking class and learn to make mole for myself. Whatever .... I am going back!!!
Well, I said I would return to Oaxaca one day and, finally, I did. Just a brief visit, a few short days but enough to both refresh the wonderful memories of our first visit and to store up more of the new places, sights and sounds we found on this visit.
We found the city much as we had remembered it - the streets with their the brightly painted buildings and magnificent churches; the shady Zocalo - the heart of the city; the bustling markets and flower-filled courtyards. We gave the major archaeological sites a miss this time and opted for smaller and lesser-known Yagul - and had the place virtually to ourselves. Tlacalolua's Sunday market was not to be missed and serendipity found us visiting Tlacochahuaya's gloriously frescoed church as the village was celebrating its saint's day. Visits to craft workshops in the villages around the city gave us fascinating insights into the magic chemistry of natural pigments and dyes along with the chance to see master-craftsmen and women at work. We stood in jaw-dropping awe once more beneath the gold-encrusted splendour of the Iglesia San Domingo's extraordinary domes and arches and joined the evening people-watchers at the cafe tables under the arches of the Zocalo's arcades.
There was no hat to match the first one, and I still haven't had that cookery lesson .... next time ....
Oaxaca's known as the green city - not because of the trees and parks but because so many of its grand public buildings,... more travel advice
I collect Nativity scenes, and the ones from South and Central America appeal to me particularly. I found my Mexican... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Oaxaca"
- "Oaxaca de Juárez"
- "Oaxaca and Monte Alban"
- "Cacti and Cappuccinos"
- "Oaxaca and Monte Alban"
- "City of endless stories and sights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Hotels in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Transportation in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Nightlife in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Restaurants in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Shopping in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Warnings and Dangers in Oaxaca de Juárez
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oaxaca de Juárez
- 24 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Oaxaca de Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Posted in Travel south island (physical feature ) Forum "Re: December 2013 travel to South..."
- updated a Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Page "Wonderful Oaxaca"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Oaxaca de Juárez travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The jade-green city"
- Wrote a Review The jade-green city in Oaxaca de Juárez Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Oaxaca de Juárez hotel reviews
- Hostel Don Nino
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- La Casa de Don Pablo Hostel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Camino Real Oaxaca
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Bahia de la Luna
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Oaxaca Ollin
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Casa Antigua
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Maela
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Hostal Pochon
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013