"Fabulous scenery, the friendliest people" Top 5 Page for this destination South Island by TheWanderingCamel
South Island Travel Guide: 6,004 reviews and 16,085 photos
MrL and I have been coming here regularly now for the last ten years - we come at Easter for the fabulous 'Warbirds Over Wanaka" airshow and then take a few more days to take in a visit to somewhere new or to revisit a favourite place - and there is still so much for us to discover and enjoy. So this page is a work in progress, a summary of past visits and with no end in sight.
With Wanaka the focus of every visit, we've spent most of our time in the region of central Otago, but we've wandered further afield over the years - to the stunning fiords and glaciers of the West Coast, the sounds and vineyards of the Marlborough region in the north of the island, the wide plains of Canterbury, the beautiful Banks Peninsula. Cities and towns - pretty little Christchurch, French-influenced Akaroa, Scots-inspired Dunedin, glitzy Queenstown, laid-back Wanaka, historic Arrowtown, gracious Oamaru - tiny hamlets, even ghost towns - all have their own story to tell. And everywhere you go - wonderfully friendly people, good food, great coffee ( I don't think I've ever had a bad cup of coffee in New Zealand, top marks from this coffee-nut), some seriously good and interesting wines, accommodation to suit every pocket. It's no wonder the place has become a must-see destination for so many people. We've certainly noticed a huge increase in visitors in some places, but it is relative - we're not talking European-type hordes - there's still plenty of room here for both the visitors and the locals.
Just home from 2008's show, we've already booked our bed for 2010's Warbirds. This year we revisited Akaroa and then headed right to the southern-most tip of the island - and beyond - visiting Stewart Island for the first time - before keeping our appointment with the planes and pilots at Wanaka.
What will it be next time? .... an overnight cruise on Milford Sound is top of my list but the boat mail run in the Malborough Sounds would be fun too.
Helihiking on Mt Cook? The train ride through Arthur's Pass? ....
When we're on the road in NZ and just making an overnight stop, we usually opt for a motel in a convenient location,... more travel advice
It looks quite small on the map of the world, doesn't it? From a plane it's possible to see right across the country... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
South Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fabulous scenery, the friendliest people"
- "Two Summer trips to South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand - South Island"
- "The South Island"
- "The driest, hottest, wettest and coldest places"
- "South Island, New Zealand"
- "New Zealand's South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Island
- Hotels in South Island
- Transportation in South Island
- Nightlife in South Island
- Restaurants in South Island
- Shopping in South Island
- Warnings and Dangers in South Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Island
- 137 Reviews
- 391 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to South Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Island
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: how long in the city"
- Commented on one of fishandchips's South Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review How long? How far? in South Island Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of the best"
- updated a South Island Travel Page "Fabulous scenery, the friendliest people"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue