"Welcome to Syria" Top 5 Page for this destination Syria by TheWanderingCamel

Syria Travel Guide: 3,974 reviews and 10,290 photos

Although you hear it everywhere in the Middle East, in Syria the word "Welcome" takes on a whole new meaning. Whether it's the family inviting you to join their picnic; the tired man, pushing a heavy barrow of cabbages home at the end of the day who puts it down carefully so he can shake your hand; the old man in his immaculate white robe who served with the Australians during WW2; the newly ordained young priest; the woman and her daughters in the icecream parlour; from whomever and wherever you hear it, these words and the warmth of that welcome are the memory that will stay with you long after you arrive home.

Come on my Syrian journey

took me first to Syria?
I wanted to see Serjilla and Al Bara, the Dead Cities that William Dalrymple wrote of so evocatively in his book "From the Holy Mountain". I made it, on my birthday in 1998, and by the end of that first trip, I was hooked.

I've been to Syria four times now and have to say the country and its people really do occupy a special place in my heart.

2004 saw me fulfill a promise to myself and some friends to return and take them with me. 12 of us set off on what turned out to be a wonderful journey of discovery, friendship and real fun together. We had a month, 8 days in Jordan, 16 in Syria and, finally 5 in Lebanon, but this will just be Syria.

Rather than break the journey up into cities and towns, all on different pages, I'm going to try to keep it all together with tips following the route we took as we explored this fantastic country. There are separate pages for Damascus and Aleppo - fabulous cities -they warrant their own entries.

Let's be off, starting with Bosra - our first stop after crossing the Jordanian border.

leyle

Heartbreak

My heart is bleeding for Syria.

• Pros:Wonderful people, wonderful country , safe, easy to travel in - just fabulous
  • Cons:None to my mind that are worth worrying about
  • In a nutshell:Go and fall in love with the place and its people
  • Last visit to Syria: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2012

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Great tips!

• Nov 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM

some pics from Bosra viajerosworld.blogspot.com/2...

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Great page! Ill be in Syria in Sept. Your page is very useful.

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Hi Leyle Hope you are well, I'm going to be in Jordan (Amman ) on buisness in May, and was planning to visit Damascus and Beiruit, any advise on Visa's and Bus /taxis Thanks, Pete

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM

"Syria is sweet tooth heaven. " I can second this! I have neighbours from Syria and have got a lot of good Syrian sweets.

• Oct 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Thats amazing - I am going to Syria in October- From Holy Mountain has inspired me to travel to Syria, Jordan and Egypt. It really is a wonderful book !!! I am very excited about my trip and hope it will be everything I imagine !

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 5:06 AM

An excellent glimpse into life in Syria and its people. My hubby's grandfather came from there. I would visit just for the food alone.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Syria is not on our travel list, but thanks for the virtual tour.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I knew there was a bit more than the Krak and Palmyra, but you show us there is much more in Syria, Leyle; your off beaten paths tips are wonderful; I enjoyed a lot my visit here with you and this makes me think of new destinations. . . .

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Syria looks like an exciting place to visit ---- enjoyed looking at your pics and tips...Greeting from Arizona, Camels! Norman:)

TheWanderingCamel Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Syria