"Welcome to Syria" Top 5 Page for this destination Syria by TheWanderingCamel
Syria Travel Guide: 3,975 reviews and 10,296 photos
Although you hear it everywhere in the Middle East, in Syria the word "Welcome" takes on a whole new meaning. Whether it's the family inviting you to join their picnic; the tired man, pushing a heavy barrow of cabbages home at the end of the day who puts it down carefully so he can shake your hand; the old man in his immaculate white robe who served with the Australians during WW2; the newly ordained young priest; the woman and her daughters in the icecream parlour; from whomever and wherever you hear it, these words and the warmth of that welcome are the memory that will stay with you long after you arrive home.
I wanted to see Serjilla and Al Bara, the Dead Cities that William Dalrymple wrote of so evocatively in his book "From the Holy Mountain". I made it, on my birthday in 1998, and by the end of that first trip, I was hooked.
I've been to Syria four times now and have to say the country and its people really do occupy a special place in my heart.
2004 saw me fulfill a promise to myself and some friends to return and take them with me. 12 of us set off on what turned out to be a wonderful journey of discovery, friendship and real fun together. We had a month, 8 days in Jordan, 16 in Syria and, finally 5 in Lebanon, but this will just be Syria.
Rather than break the journey up into cities and towns, all on different pages, I'm going to try to keep it all together with tips following the route we took as we explored this fantastic country. There are separate pages for Damascus and Aleppo - fabulous cities -they warrant their own entries.
Let's be off, starting with Bosra - our first stop after crossing the Jordanian border.
My heart is bleeding for Syria.
- Pros:Wonderful people, wonderful country , safe, easy to travel in - just fabulous
- Cons:None to my mind that are worth worrying about
- In a nutshell:Go and fall in love with the place and its people
Being offered tea is a ritual in Syria. Don't hesitate to accept - it is expected. It's the way it's done here - not... more travel advice
You still see older Bedouin women wearing beautifully embroidered dresses in Syria, though they are rarely as elaborate... more travel advice
- See All Hama to Damascus
- See All Qasr ibn Wardan - Outpost of Empire
- See All Do you have a sweet tooth?
- See All Hama's old cars
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Syria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the first Civilizations"
- "Welcome to Syria"
- "26 December 2002 - 6 January 2003"
- "Syria through the eyes of an American"
- "Syria, History and Culture."
- "Off The Beaten Path"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Syria
- Hotels in Syria
- Transportation in Syria
- Nightlife in Syria
- Restaurants in Syria
- Shopping in Syria
- Warnings and Dangers in Syria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Syria
- 174 Reviews
- 188 Photos
- 96 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Syria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Syria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Syria hotels
- Saydnaya Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Safita Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Kassab Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Idlib Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Hamah Hotels
- 131 Reviews - 421 Photos
- Aleppo Hotels
- 757 Reviews - 1842 Photos
- Damascus Hotels
- 820 Reviews - 2205 Photos
- Busra ash Sham Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 254 Photos
- Baniyas Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 39 Photos
- Az Zabadani Hotels
- 1 Review
- Latakia Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 180 Photos