"Divine Dubrovnik" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik by TheWanderingCamel

Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,831 reviews and 4,889 photos

Pearl of the Adriatic

Just a dip -

That's all two days in Dubrovnik really gave us time to do on our first visit, but
we had a great place to stay,
transport was easy
and the heart of the old city within the walls is small and very sightseeing-friendly, with
its magnificent walls,
beautiful architecture,
sunny open squares and shady narrow streets (it was very hot!)
and sparkling harbour waters.

There was time enough
to explore quiet corners as well as visit the grander places of the city;
to sit in a cafe or three, cold beer in hand, and watch the world go by;
to shop at the Green Market for the freshest of fresh salads and fruit for dinner;
to share a bottle of wine and good conversation under the grapevines of our guesthouse;
to take a walk by the harbour as night fell;
and to simply relax and soak up the charms of this loveliest of all the cities of the Adriatic coast.

Back again...

2008 saw us return to Dubrovnik. This time it was October and the tourist season was almost over. Only one cruise ship was in the port and there were no where near the numbers of visitors that had flooded the city the last time we were there. It was beautifully sunny but nowhere near as hot either and the combination of bright sunshine, balmy temperatures and fewer people was a delight.

...and again

2009 found us in Dubrovnik yet again, this time staying in a small apartment right inside the walls of the old city. With a shaded terrace and an extensive garden to relax in, this time we settled into a routine of a lazy al fresco breakfast, a couple of hours sightseeing ending with a visit to the market to pick up something for lunch back on the terrace followed by an hour or so to read (or snooze) before wandering out into the city streets again as the day cooled, the day trippers left and the shadows lengthened. Night-time brought a recital in an old church, people-watching over an aperitif on the Stradum, dinner always eaten out of doors - down by the old port, in a tiny restaurant tucked into a corner above the Dominican monastery, the restaurant right outside our own front door, a last drink at the cafe outside the Pile gate with a splendid view of the floodlit walls - how easy is that to get used to?

• Last visit to Dubrovnik: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2011

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Informative page. Great photos. Cheers, Irene

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Your excellent photos and descriptions bring back nice memories of my own visits to Dubrovnik and Mostar many years ago.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Perhaps one day I may be able to visit for "real" what you have written about. Nice pages, full of good info.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2010 at 6:14 AM

It's me again. I'm really enjoying These Croatian pages, leyle. I will get through them all, over the weekend I'm sure. You do a great job. Kate

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM

As always, I love to read your pages, Leyle, and you made Dubrovnik an enchantment. I am sure the heat would not stop me from walking in the streets and side alleys; and your day trip suggestions are wonderful.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Leyle, fantastic page with brilliant photos. We enjoyed 3 fabulous days in Dubrovnik on our recent trip through Croatia. We even visited Cavtat on a side trip.

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Wow, how may photos can you take in 48hrs? I'll be back to check some out I love the beaches in this part of the world

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM

Great tip details & great photos! Thanks-I'll be here this summer. Also, no photos of blue-footed boobies in the Galapagos-sorry. My camera ran out of battery that day I saw a few! :-( Ann, The Travel Slut

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Great tips! Excellent descriptions! I'd love to visit this charming city sometime in the near future!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Very taken by the russet rooftops, the narrow alleys (with restaurants), the palms, not to mention the walls of Kotor. Great stuff, as usual Leyle!

TheWanderingCamel Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik

Have you been to Dubrovnik?

Latest Activity in Dubrovnik