"Divine Dubrovnik" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik by TheWanderingCamel
Dubrovnik Travel Guide: 1,822 reviews and 4,853 photos
That's all two days in Dubrovnik really gave us time to do on our first visit, but
we had a great place to stay,
transport was easy
and the heart of the old city within the walls is small and very sightseeing-friendly, with
its magnificent walls,
sunny open squares and shady narrow streets (it was very hot!)
and sparkling harbour waters.
There was time enough
to explore quiet corners as well as visit the grander places of the city;
to sit in a cafe or three, cold beer in hand, and watch the world go by;
to shop at the Green Market for the freshest of fresh salads and fruit for dinner;
to share a bottle of wine and good conversation under the grapevines of our guesthouse;
to take a walk by the harbour as night fell;
and to simply relax and soak up the charms of this loveliest of all the cities of the Adriatic coast.
2008 saw us return to Dubrovnik. This time it was October and the tourist season was almost over. Only one cruise ship was in the port and there were no where near the numbers of visitors that had flooded the city the last time we were there. It was beautifully sunny but nowhere near as hot either and the combination of bright sunshine, balmy temperatures and fewer people was a delight.
2009 found us in Dubrovnik yet again, this time staying in a small apartment right inside the walls of the old city. With a shaded terrace and an extensive garden to relax in, this time we settled into a routine of a lazy al fresco breakfast, a couple of hours sightseeing ending with a visit to the market to pick up something for lunch back on the terrace followed by an hour or so to read (or snooze) before wandering out into the city streets again as the day cooled, the day trippers left and the shadows lengthened. Night-time brought a recital in an old church, people-watching over an aperitif on the Stradum, dinner always eaten out of doors - down by the old port, in a tiny restaurant tucked into a corner above the Dominican monastery, the restaurant right outside our own front door, a last drink at the cafe outside the Pile gate with a splendid view of the floodlit walls - how easy is that to get used to?
There are so many things about Dubrovnik to fill the eye and leave lasting impressions. The unity and harmony of the... more travel advice
A 300km round trip from Dubrovnik will take you into Bosnia-Herzegovina for a chance to visit the city that perhaps... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBROVNIK , the Pearl of Croatia"
- "Dubrovnik and the beauty inside"
- "Dubrovnik - Ragusa"
- "Divine Dubrovnik"
- "Unavoidable Dubrovnik"
- "A Lovely Village Inside a Wall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubrovnik
- Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Transportation in Dubrovnik
- Nightlife in Dubrovnik
- Restaurants in Dubrovnik
- Shopping in Dubrovnik
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubrovnik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubrovnik
- 34 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Dubrovnik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubrovnik
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue