"Hvar - holiday h'ven" Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar by TheWanderingCamel

Hvar Travel Guide: 377 reviews and 1,004 photos

Hvartian sampler

Considered the most beautiful of all the Adriatic islands with its Venetian-inspired towns of creamy stone and warm terracotta, more of the same in small fishing villages, vineyards, fields of lavender and rosemary, pine- and oak-clad hills, not to mention more hours of sunshine than any other place along this coast - is it any wonder Hvar is the most popular of all Croatia's islands?

It may be the favourite destination of the fashionable sailing set but you don't have to be rich and famous to enjoy the charms of Hvar. Whether you come for just a day or two as part of an island-hopping holiday or choose to stay longer to explore the island between soaking up the sun, swimming, shopping, snoozing and whatever else you like to do when on vacation, you're sure to fall under the spell of this lovely place.

Where shall we stay?

Stari Hvar's the island's main town and most popular destination, the old centre a mediaeval maze of narrow lanes and steep steps rising up from a sheltered harbour for small boats and the newer parts packed with accommodation of all sorts - all overlooked by a massive fortress, but we opted to stay in Vrboska, a pretty little place set along either side of a winding sea creek at the end of a well-sheltered bay. It's more out of the way though and without a car getting away to other parts of the island would be difficult. With a hire car and a dear little stone house right in the midle of the village, it suited us beautifully.

Other places to consider are Stari Grad, Hvar's oldest town, near the ferry port, and slightly smaller Jelsa, which is growing fast. These towns are all at the western end of the island and offer the best accommodation options. Further afield there's little accommodation to be found though there are some good local restaurants and lovely beaches.

Where were the crowds?

Guidebooks will tell you Hvar gets crowded in high summer - one even says "frenzied" - and that might put you off. All I can say is we were there in early August and, if that's what's considered crowded, I hate to think how the writers would cope in some other places I've found myself in high season! The most people we saw were in Hvar Town itself, and that was no more than made the main square pleasantly busy. The beaches were fine (and I'm an Australian who likes her beaches all but deserted, but this is Europe so allowances have to be made). Vrboska and the other towns and villages we visited were delightfully uncrowded and there were plenty of places we visited that we found ourselves virtually the only people around.

Things do get busier I'm sure, but this is not Dubrovnik where the cruise ships disgorge thousands into the narrow streets of the old walled city each day and hotels and apartments cover the slopes all around the bay. Avoid the very peak of the season if you can, but even in mid-August you'll find peaceful spots in which to relax and unwind. From the moment the ferry left the dock at Split for the 1 1/2 hour cruise to the island, our days on Hvar really were a little bit of holiday heaven.

leyle

• Last visit to Hvar: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2011

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Lavender dreams :) Have read Mira's description of Hvar and that already made me want to come for a visit and now I must place it high on my list :-) Maybe with Anna and Rafa next year?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I remember well the distant view of Hvar but sadly we never made it here - another place to add to the wish-list judging by your excellent page. Stari Grad especially sounds just our sort of place - historic but not too busy

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Fabulous overview of Hvar. We only made it to the island of Brac, but also saw the ferries to Hvar in Split as well as in Supetar. I would definitely like to explore more of these lovely Croatian islands.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 5:52 AM

Quite a delightful place, and you clearly had a great holiday there. I've enjoyed immersing myself in this summery page on a cold and windy winter's night!

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Our trip to Hvar was stymied. We planned to travel from Korcula to Hvar but discovered that there is not auto-ferry connection...so we will have to wait till next time. Thanks for filling in the gap. Great photos and tips. Thanks...Tom

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2008 at 10:30 AM

A great page on another beautiful little spot! Your accommodations sounded like fun as did your OTBP visit to the island. Amazing to find the ruins of Humac duing your wanderings!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I realised I need to visit more places close to Hungary in the coming months and years and would love to go off season sometime to Hvar..I grew up on an Island so enjoy visiting other 'holiday' Islands. Love yr tips and pics, gr8 info.Tim

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Hvar looks beautiful! Croatia is a country I really want to visit, but I don't know when to find the time (or money). Well written tips!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Excellent page, fully documented, on this wonderful island. It is some time since I last went to Hvar and I miss the place! Thanks for the virtual visit! Interesting Bunja!

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 6:23 PM

That looks like a charming house you stayed in... and I bet the lavender fields are lovely!!

Badges & Stats in Hvar