"Sunny days in Split" Top 5 Page for this destination Split by TheWanderingCamel
Split Travel Guide: 847 reviews and 2,378 photos
They say the past is a different country - and how true that is of Croatia and its historic city of Split. More than 30 years seperated my first visit and the next one - 30 years that saw the death of a iron-fisted dictator followed by the bitter and often bloody breakup of Yugoslavia, the country he held together by the force of his will and belief in centralized nationalism. I have no photos of that first visit but the image of an extraordinary city where mediaeval buildings were built right into the walls of a Roman emperor's palace were indelibly printed on my mind's eye. Yugoslavia (as it was then) had only recently embraced the idea of opening its doors to tourists from the west, and we found Split to be uncrowded and refreshingly (and, it must be said, at times frustratingly) unsophisticated. I loved it.
Fast forward to 2006 - the years of both Communism and war both in the past. Croatia's the word on everyone's lips as THE place to go, and Split, both in its own right and as the gateway to some of Dalmatia's favourite holiday islands, is high on the tourist's list of places to see. We were heading for Brac, but those old memories were still there - ticking away, and I knew we had to do more than simply pass through the city on our way from the airport to the ferry port.
Quite simply, yes. I did and I fell in love with Split all over again.
Today's Split is a real mix of the ancient, the mellow aged and vibrant youth all blended together with a good dash of tradition and what's new thrown in for good measure. Add brilliant sunshine, a glittering sea, the scent of pine trees, hazy blue islands on the horizon and you have a city of of narrow streets made for exploring, squares made for cafe-sitting and people-watching, historic monuments and funky shops, a city that deserves so much more than a day trip from a seaside hotel or a quick stop en route to a ferry.
A couple of days in 2006 left us wanting to return, a few more in 2007 reinforced that thought, October 2008, JJune 2009 - not sure just which month it will be in 2010 but one thing's sure - we'll be back. This has become a habit!
3 hours by bus from Split, Medugorje, in Herzegovina, has become a pilgrimage site in recent years since local children... more travel advice
Lying between the ancient Roman heart of Split and and the wooded slopes of the Marjan Peninsula just to the west of the... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- "A Town Inside A Medieval Palace..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 35 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Photos in SplitSee All Photos (118)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue