"Something special ...." Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by TheWanderingCamel
Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,173 reviews and 2,949 photos
Winter Olympics '84 ...
Tragic and shocking scenes of a city under siege brought into our living rooms nightly ...
If you'd asked me a few years ago what Sarajevo brought to mind, these thoughts and images would have been the sum total.
Not any more!
Say Sarajevo now and all my senses respond.
I see a charming small city in a deep valley, the setting sun turning its river to gold and washing its buildings with mellow light.
I hear the sound of the muezzin and church bells calling the faithful to their evening prayers.
Wood smoke and the delicious smell of barbecuing meat drifts into my nose and the taste of strong, black coffee fills my mouth.
What do I touch? The protective glass between me and the city's greatest treasure - a small book, written more than 500 years ago on the other side of Europe. A book that symbolizes both the city's will to survive and its pride in its long history of religious tolerance.
An urge to see the precious book I had read about.
To explore further into Bosnia and Hercegovina after a visit to Mostar.
To see more of the curious funerary stones that are particularly a feature of the mediaeval Bosnian church.
To visit the place where people of different beliefs and cultures found a way to live together that even the bitter years of recent war did not destroy.
Deeds of infamy lie in the past, neither ignored nor forgotten, woven now into the tapestry of the city's life, but I found a city of unconscious charm, where a Turkish bazaar turns into a 19th century Austrian thoroughfare, turban-topped tombstones stand in the gardens of small mosques, narrow streets wind their way up steep hills, bookshops and culture abound and drinking coffee is a way of life. It's a lovely mixture.
There's not much choice when it comes to guidebooks on Bosnia and Hercegovina, and I could find nothing in English that... more travel advice
Khava, coffee - is more than just a drink in Bosnia and Hercegovina - it's a way of life! There's no time of day or... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Sarajevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "Something special ...."
- "SARAJEVO MY LOVE"
- "dreams submerged. the capital."
- "Beautiful and Scarred"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarajevo
- Hotels in Sarajevo
- Transportation in Sarajevo
- Nightlife in Sarajevo
- Restaurants in Sarajevo
- Shopping in Sarajevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarajevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarajevo
- 40 Reviews
- 154 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Sarajevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarajevo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue