"Something special ...." Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by TheWanderingCamel

Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,197 reviews and 3,061 photos

....Sarajevo....

An assassination that sparked a war ...
Winter Olympics '84 ...
Tragic and shocking scenes of a city under siege brought into our living rooms nightly ...

If you'd asked me a few years ago what Sarajevo brought to mind, these thoughts and images would have been the sum total.

Not any more!

Say Sarajevo now and all my senses respond.

I see a charming small city in a deep valley, the setting sun turning its river to gold and washing its buildings with mellow light.

I hear the sound of the muezzin and church bells calling the faithful to their evening prayers.

Wood smoke and the delicious smell of barbecuing meat drifts into my nose and the taste of strong, black coffee fills my mouth.

What do I touch? The protective glass between me and the city's greatest treasure - a small book, written more than 500 years ago on the other side of Europe. A book that symbolizes both the city's will to survive and its pride in its long history of religious tolerance.

Curiosity brought me to Sarajevo.

An urge to see the precious book I had read about.

To explore further into Bosnia and Hercegovina after a visit to Mostar.

To see more of the curious funerary stones that are particularly a feature of the mediaeval Bosnian church.

To visit the place where people of different beliefs and cultures found a way to live together that even the bitter years of recent war did not destroy.

Deeds of infamy lie in the past, neither ignored nor forgotten, woven now into the tapestry of the city's life, but I found a city of unconscious charm, where a Turkish bazaar turns into a 19th century Austrian thoroughfare, turban-topped tombstones stand in the gardens of small mosques, narrow streets wind their way up steep hills, bookshops and culture abound and drinking coffee is a way of life. It's a lovely mixture.

• Last visit to Sarajevo: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2008

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

What a fascinating page. Interesting tips and great photos. Irene

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Your page reflects the special attitude to this interesting city. Avi

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Still waiting to say 'shalom' to you, girl(s) in my country.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Wonderfulpages and so wellwritten .I loved the Kazanzilduk when we were there and have a little pot, from there, in my kitchen as a reminder. Happy Holidays.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Leyle, what a wonderful page. I am thinking about Sarajevo for next year & now I have read all this, I can't see how I can stay away. I'll have plenty of questions, so be prepared. Kate

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM

What a wonderful page; almost a love letter to Sarajevo! You've made me want to visit. You have a special way with words.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

A fascinating page ! We have not yet visited Sarajevo but of course plan to do so next time. Your excellent page will be a prized guide !

• Kariba's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Thanks for the advice Wandering Camel. I did think getting to Sarajevo & back in a day from Dubrovnik would be a bit ambitious & not really do it justice. Will have to visit another time. Great Sarajevo pages :o)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Wonderful DSarajevo pages - one foot in east, one foot in west...makes me want to visit..."One shot to spark a war" is an amazing tip on history...Thanks for sharing, Norman :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM

an interesting page and great pics, thanks for sharing, Leyle ! And for me it was a lot of fun to see the old trams from Vienna beeing in use there still !

Badges & Stats in Sarajevo

Have you been to Sarajevo?

Latest Activity in Sarajevo