"The Black Mountain" Republic of Montenegro by TheWanderingCamel
Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide: 2,445 reviews and 5,780 photos
Only days before I returned, Montenegro had become an independent country - Crne Gora - Black Mountain - her people voting for sovereignity over their own state in a referendum on May 21, 2006. Titograd has gone back to its historic name , Podgorica - and I'm sure the hotels are both more welcoming and more comfortable now. Not that we tried one out, this was the briefest of visits, a few short hours, exploring the Bay of Kotor and Kotor itself, a gem of a walled mediaeval town that lies at the head of the bay.
Montenegro is set to become a major tourist destination. It might be tiny but with its wonderful scenery, historic towns and cities, unspoilt beaches, excellent sailing and more, it has so much to offer. If you like your sightseeing to be crowd-free, your beaches relatively empty and your wallet not stretched to the limit - now's the time to go. We hadn't planned to go to Montenegro when we visited Dubrovnik but when we were told our hire car agreement allowed us to cross the border, the decision was made.
This visit was only for a day but a return that will take us deeper into Montenegro is definitely on the agenda. I hope we make it before we're as old as these folk we found sitting in the shade of the main gate of Kotor..
Given the focus of our day in Montenegro was the Gulf of Kotor the tips that were on this page have been moved to the more appropriate setting of Kotor
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Republic of Montenegro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Crna Gora"
- "Montenegro - A Visit to the Old Country"
- "WILD BEAUTY"
- "Od sveg srca cestitamo nezavisnost!"
- "Magic of Montenegro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republic of Montenegro
- Hotels in Republic of Montenegro
- Transportation in Republic of Montenegro
- Nightlife in Republic of Montenegro
- Restaurants in Republic of Montenegro
- Shopping in Republic of Montenegro
- Warnings and Dangers in Republic of Montenegro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republic of Montenegro
- 19 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Republic of Montenegro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republic of Montenegro
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Top Republic of Montenegro hotels
- Budva Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 749 Photos
- Herceg-Novi Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 406 Photos
- Kotor Hotels
- 551 Reviews - 1279 Photos
- Ulcinj Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 295 Photos
- Podgorica Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Sveti Stefan Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos
- Kolasin Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Bar Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Petrovac Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Perast Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Donji Stoj Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 21 Photos
- Perazica Do Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Bregvija Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Veliki Ostros Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Tivat Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 95 Photos