"London is ....." London by TheWanderingCamel

London Travel Guide: 23,691 reviews and 50,445 photos

...palaces and pubs;
museums, memorials and markets;
horrendous traffic snarls and leafy garden squares;
graceful Georgian houses and a big green glass gherkin;
the Thames and the Tower;
bridges and buskers, buses and bobbies;
churches and shops ... and shops .... and shops;
crowded,
stimulating,
noisy,
exhilerating,
dirty,
delightful -
the most cosmopolitan city in the world with more faces and facets to it than you could ever hope to discover in a lifetime, let alone a short visit.

Never mind whether you're here for a year or just a few days, just jump right in and make the most of the time you have. Whatever you do, and wherever you go, you're in for one of life's great experiences.
Make the most of it!

Leyle's London

With more than 1200 pages already here on VT for London, I'm certainly not going to add to the thousands of tips for all the main sights, so you won't find Buckingham Palace, the Tower or the London Eye here (though there is a tip for my take on Portobello Road and the surrounding streets). Nor will you find the Hard Rock Cafe, Harrods or Hyde Park - I'm sure everything that could possibly said about them has been said already.

What you will find is the tucked away, the eccentric, the offbeat.... places that are personal favourites and personal opinions of some London institutions that may not match up to the generally perceived idea of a place. I hope you'll find something amongst it that sends you off on a visit you hadn't expected ... maybe you'll find your own little out-of-the-way favourite as you go.

Getting out of town

There's so much to see and do in London, you could easily spend your whole time there and never leave the city streets. That would be a shame, there is so much wonderful countryside and so many fascinating places within an easy day's trip out of town. I'm not going to put any days trips here on this page - I'd only be repeating myself - but my England page is largely focussed on odd little corners and places with an interesting story to tell - most of which are within a couple of hours of London by car or by train at most.

leyle

• Last visit to London: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2011

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Very good information and tips, thank you so much!The Wetland Centre has been on my wishlist for some time now.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Oh my, we spent so much time tooking for a veggie place in London and never found one (that was in the pre-VT, pre-Internet days...) If we'd only known LOL Actually we ate a lot of chocolate bars.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Absolutely fantastic tips, written from the heart. Brought back some lovely memories. thanks ;-)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Wow! Great tip on Burton. I want to go for a visit there.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM

Hi, Thanks for the postcard! Yes I really must visit Burton's grave sometime.

• Aug 31, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Small but wonderful page about some hidden gems and traps of London. Great intro, as usual.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Wonderful page L! You've visited some places that many would not seek out, kind of like what I would look for too. Nice page and thank you for sharing.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM

A nice alternate look at London = but I would agree it is a tad expensive!!

• leics's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Out of season is best everywhere, really. Or maybe I'm just a misanthropist! The Romans had such a huge influence in so many parts of western Europe (and around the Med). It fascinates me. Best, J

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM

A brilliant and detailed page. It is so refreshing to find a page like this on a large city, as opposed to most, which have dozens (sometimes hundreds) of tips that amount to little more than a glorified show-and-tell. Cheers, Mark

TheWanderingCamel Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in London