"London is ....." London by TheWanderingCamel
London Travel Guide: 25,429 reviews and 57,456 photos
museums, memorials and markets;
horrendous traffic snarls and leafy garden squares;
graceful Georgian houses and a big green glass gherkin;
the Thames and the Tower;
bridges and buskers, buses and bobbies;
churches and shops ... and shops .... and shops;
the most cosmopolitan city in the world with more faces and facets to it than you could ever hope to discover in a lifetime, let alone a short visit.
Never mind whether you're here for a year or just a few days, just jump right in and make the most of the time you have. Whatever you do, and wherever you go, you're in for one of life's great experiences.
Make the most of it!
With more than 1200 pages already here on VT for London, I'm certainly not going to add to the thousands of tips for all the main sights, so you won't find Buckingham Palace, the Tower or the London Eye here (though there is a tip for my take on Portobello Road and the surrounding streets). Nor will you find the Hard Rock Cafe, Harrods or Hyde Park - I'm sure everything that could possibly said about them has been said already.
What you will find is the tucked away, the eccentric, the offbeat.... places that are personal favourites and personal opinions of some London institutions that may not match up to the generally perceived idea of a place. I hope you'll find something amongst it that sends you off on a visit you hadn't expected ... maybe you'll find your own little out-of-the-way favourite as you go.
There's so much to see and do in London, you could easily spend your whole time there and never leave the city streets. That would be a shame, there is so much wonderful countryside and so many fascinating places within an easy day's trip out of town. I'm not going to put any days trips here on this page - I'd only be repeating myself - but my England page is largely focussed on odd little corners and places with an interesting story to tell - most of which are within a couple of hours of London by car or by train at most.
You don't have to be a vegan, a vegetarian or someone looking for wholesome, healthy food to get a real kick out of... more travel advice
Carnaby Street, theatres, restaurants, pubs and clubs - these are the things that bring tourists to Soho - a maze of... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 8 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 93 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue