"Penzance : the capital of West Cornwall" Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance by TheWanderingCamel
Penzance Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 272 photos
Penzance is the main market town of West Cornwall, and people come here to shop from as far away as Redruth. The shops are very good for the size of the town, and you can find most things you want ? even if there isn't much choice of assortment.
Market Jew Street is the main shopping street, and the heart of the town. It runs from the large Lloyd's Bank building down to the railway station (from where leave most of the buses into the country). This is where you find the Post office, and the local Woolworths, WH Smith, Boots and others of that ilk.
Antique shops and art galleries are in profusion in Chapel Street and in Causeway Head, both at the top of Market Jew Street. There is a farmers' market on alternate Fridays and Saturdays.
In the summer everything is largely geared for tourism: lots of bed and breakfast offers, cafes and souvenir shops, not to mention pasties on sale.
Don't forget to taste (often) Cornish ice cream, made with Cornish cream. The up country version tastes pale and insipid afterwards!
I am including Newlyn and also Mousehole in this page. Newlyn is admistratively part of Penzance, and Mousehole is close enough to be very much influenced by it.
Look at how little the main street has changed in the last century! This photo was taken in 1911!
The tourist season opens with the Golowan Festival on the feast of St John at the end of June.
The famous flags are displayed in the streets and the festival culminates with procession leading through the town.
See the "Local Customs" tips
All Penzance reviews and photos were posted here by lulu. Please see our Homepage re photo use.
The advent of the railway in the nineteenth century made the distant areas far more accessible to everybody. But it was... more travel advice
This beautiful house was built by the Branwell family in 1865 and purchased by the town of Penzance as a war memorial in... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Penzance Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not a pirate in sight!"
- "Penzance : the capital of West Cornwall"
- "Penzance - The land's end is near!!!"
- "Welcome to Penzance"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penzance
- Hotels in Penzance
- Transportation in Penzance
- Nightlife in Penzance
- Restaurants in Penzance
- Shopping in Penzance
- Warnings and Dangers in Penzance
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penzance
- 10 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Penzance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penzance
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue