""Touched by the sea, kissed by the sun ....." Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia by TheWanderingCamel

Sicilia Travel Guide: 2,527 reviews and 7,491 photos

....blessed by the gods"

One of the first descriptions of a place ever written,
this is how, in ancient times, a Greek historian described the Sicilian city of Catania. Although he would not recognize his Catania in the sprawling city we see today, his words sum up Sicily perfectly. Could any modern day advertising copywriter express the island's charms so succinctly?

Ten days on the island

Nowhere near enough to see it all, but time enough to fall in love with the beautiful coastline and wide olive-, wheat- and vine-planted hinterland, to wander among golden Grecian columns and narrow mediaeval streets, to stand transfixed beneath the steady gaze of Byzantine Christ Pantocrators and watch the sunset glow fade on brightly painted fishing boats bobbing in little harbours.

Hundreds of years of Arab rule have left their mark and even today there are decidedly North African aspects to be seen in quiet places and old city centres that could be downtown Damascus, cathedrals decorated with Moorish motifs, couscous and saffron in the cooking.

Splendid Roman ruins, eerie Christian catacombs, Norman castles, a mediaeval mountaintop town, a smoking Mt Etna, markets overflowing with fresh, fresh produce - every day brought new delights. Sunset brought evening walks before and after hours spent over delicious food and local wines before we returned to charming B&Bs (and a wonderfully cheesy seaside hotel) where we slept like logs and woke to yet another perfect day.

leyle

• Last visit to Sicilia: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Brilliant and comprehensive Sicilia page. I quite like the idea to travel by train from Rome to Siracusa. Great to read that even Italian trains can be on time. Unfortunately I never made it further south than the Amalfi coast in Italy, so Sicilia is still on my must visit list.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Excellent page! The ruins are unbelievable, many of them in such good condition. Palermo, I love the Churches and was it a Marble font, whatever! fantastic! The marzipan too, as you say, it looks real, and as for Taorima, I agree with you, far too crowded, we couldn't stand the crowds so went! Ex photo's too!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Wonder of wonders! Your pages are a joy - how I want to go back! Graze, mille grazie....

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Lots of interesting info as usual. Excellent stuff.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I have made a start! Great info as always, and superb photos :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Comprehensive page full of interesting details! Sicilia isn't a very popular destination for Russian tourists yet, but I know people who were there and enjoyed the trip. You've convinced me in the same... Thanks Leyle!

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Nice page for an exotic place. On my wish list...Thanks fo rthe historical brief.. i see some resembelnce to Cordoba spain in term of moorish influence..maybe less mosques, i guess!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM

What a delightful page, Leyle :-)) Sicily is on my wishlist since Montalbano and you made me want to go even more now! The windmills are a magic sight as are the colourful boats and not to forget this splendid history :-))

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM

cable car? not on your life! Love the windmills...I had no idea. Lemonciello...mmmmmmm

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 4:31 AM

Fantastic page Leyle! I've been to Sicily twice but you've shown me that I've barely scratched its surface. You've really done the island justice, and when I read the 1st of your Monreale tips I wished that VT had a 6 star rating :-)

Badges & Stats in Sicilia

Have you been to Sicilia?