""Touched by the sea, kissed by the sun ....." Top 5 Page for this destination Sicilia by TheWanderingCamel
Sicilia Travel Guide: 2,887 reviews and 9,087 photos
this is how, in ancient times, a Greek historian described the Sicilian city of Catania. Although he would not recognize his Catania in the sprawling city we see today, his words sum up Sicily perfectly. Could any modern day advertising copywriter express the island's charms so succinctly?
Nowhere near enough to see it all, but time enough to fall in love with the beautiful coastline and wide olive-, wheat- and vine-planted hinterland, to wander among golden Grecian columns and narrow mediaeval streets, to stand transfixed beneath the steady gaze of Byzantine Christ Pantocrators and watch the sunset glow fade on brightly painted fishing boats bobbing in little harbours.
Hundreds of years of Arab rule have left their mark and even today there are decidedly North African aspects to be seen in quiet places and old city centres that could be downtown Damascus, cathedrals decorated with Moorish motifs, couscous and saffron in the cooking.
Splendid Roman ruins, eerie Christian catacombs, Norman castles, a mediaeval mountaintop town, a smoking Mt Etna, markets overflowing with fresh, fresh produce - every day brought new delights. Sunset brought evening walks before and after hours spent over delicious food and local wines before we returned to charming B&Bs (and a wonderfully cheesy seaside hotel) where we slept like logs and woke to yet another perfect day.
It's hard to imagine a Sicily without orange and lemon trees - you see them everywhere. Nine out of ten lemons sold in... more travel advice
The artistry employed in producing the marzipan fruits and vegetables seen in pasticceria everywhere is quite amazing.... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Sicilia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Touched by the sea, kissed by the sun ....."
- "Sicilia - more than another island"
- "Sensational Sicily"
- "SCENES FROM SICILY"
- "My sunshine land"
- "Under my skin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sicilia
- Hotels in Sicilia
- Transportation in Sicilia
- Nightlife in Sicilia
- Restaurants in Sicilia
- Shopping in Sicilia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sicilia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sicilia
- 80 Reviews
- 310 Photos
- 38 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Sicilia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sicilia
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: how long in the city"
- updated a Sicilia Travel Page ""Touched by the sea, kissed by the sun ....."
- Commented on one of MikeBird's Sicilia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Oranges and lemons, and pass the limoncello"
- Wrote a Review Oranges and lemons, and pass the limoncello in Sicilia Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue