"Seen on the Via Veneto" Rome by TheWanderingCamel
Rome Travel Guide: 11,941 reviews and 26,475 photos
Photo: This one's for willy-wonka
George Bush came to town whilst we we in Rome. It just so happened that we'd opted for a well-earned coffee stop in a cafe on the Via Veneto that day. Carabinieri everywhere - parked on street corners by the van load, lining the roadway, tearing up and down on motor-cycles - what a circus!
The motorcade rolled by, returning from the Vatican to the American Embassy, and slowly the street returned to normal. We hailed a cab and made our way to our next destination, the beautiful little church of Santa Constanza, where we found ....
Photo: Line up
No workman-like fatigues or guns for these guys though. Cockaded hats and silver epaulettes were the order of the day as they stood honour guard for one of their colleagues whose wedding had just been celebrated in the church.
We watched and waited as the photos were taken, the wedding guests fluttered around the newly-wed couple, the old sexton berated all and sundry as he swept up rice and rose petals and the last of the guests left the church before we could enter.
Because of the wedding, we'd had to hang around a bit before we could go up to the church, but this was our last day and Santa Constanza was a must (both for the mosaics and because my companion's mother had been a Constance too) so hang about we did.... in the company of the elderly bocce-playing members of the the Santa Agnes Community Centre at their shady bar next to the church.
Isn't it things like this that we really remember most about our travels? The chance encounters, the unexpected, the out-of-the-way. Millions of tourists and travellers visit Rome each year and each and every one of them will almost certainly make their way to the Roman Forum, St Peters and the Trevi Fountain. Of course we did it too, and there are all the photos to show for it. Do I really need to post them up here? To add to the 920 photos of the Colosseum, the 737 of the Vatican?
I'm not sure how this page is going to pan out. My love of history will almost certainly take me down the traditional paths of recording Rome's extraordinary past but I hope by the time it's done you'll have enjoyed sharing my view of the eternal city and maybe found a thing or two you'd like to add to your ideas of Things to Do on your Roman holiday.
Clicking Member's Choice in the Things To Do section will reorder the tips into the sequence they were intended to be read .
If you want to post your Roman postcards from the Vatican, you can't simply pop your Italian-stamped cards into the... more travel advice
Capitoline, Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, Palatine, Aventine - the seven hills upon which Ancient Rome was... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 42 Reviews
- 164 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Travel south island (physical feature ) Forum "Re: December 2013 travel to South..."
- updated a Rome Travel Page "Seen on the Via Veneto"
- Commented on one of miso80's Rome travel pages
- Wrote a Review Papal post about Signs, Signals & Superstitions in Rome Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Papal post"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (90)
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Hotel Piranesi Palazzo Nainer
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Exedra - A Boscolo Luxury Hotel
- 566 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Boscolo Grand Hotel Palace
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hilton Rome Airport
- 928 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Residenza Paolo Vi
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Atlante Garden Hotel
- 494 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Napoleon Hotel
- 1146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Opera Roma
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Fortyseven Hotel Rome
- 966 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- River Palace Hotel
- 882 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Domus Sessoriana
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Raffaello Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Sweet Dreams Bed & Breakfast
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013