"The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa by TheWanderingCamel
Akaroa Travel Guide: 251 reviews and 628 photos
The pretty little harbour town of Akaroa, the penisula's biggest settlement, may only be 85 km from Christchurch but it really is a world apart. The bay it sits on is formed by the drowned crater of an extinct volcano and the land around the town rises quite sharply to form a high ridge that rings the harbour before it falls away again to the sea in the tumble of wooded gullies, steep cliffs, waterfalls and deep inlets on the volcano's eroded outer rim.
Once British settlers began to arrive, Christchurch soon overtook Akaroa in size and importance and the town sank into quiet obscurity. This, as so often happens, proved to be to the advantage of the town as it left the quaint buildings and picturesque streets free from the zeal of developers, either Victorian or contemporary, and nowadays its historic charm is valued and preserved.
The combination of absolute waterfront location (the only accommodation in Akaroa to offer this) and stylishly... more travel advice
The Fox II is a red-sailed beauty - the oldest gaffed rigged ketch in New Zealand. Built in Auckland in 1922, her home... more travel advice
TheWanderingCamel's Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 22 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Intro, 73 reviews, 246 photos
- Turkey Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 54 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 49 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 48 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 49 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 46 reviews, 158 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 83 reviews, 120 photos, 1 travelogue